BC Hydro optional rate plan

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Das KONA, Mar 28, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A new option will be available starting by June.

If you choose it, you save 5 cents per kWh from 11 pm to 7 am, and you pay 5 cents more per KWh from 5 pm to 9 pm (might have the hours off slightly, but you get the point). Everyone’s circumstances will be different, but for me it will probably be a no-brainer to take the option and charge overnight. Already tested setting the timed charging on the Kona and it’s fairly straightforward.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Is that for all electricity you used or just for a charging station How do they know you are charging your car

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

5. I guess it depends on how much you use? whats the rate as well? I mean, right now the 1st 22 kh/w are 8.x cents then it goes up to 12.x. My gf charges the Leaf daily so it makes sense for us, as 50% of our electricity is usually charging, Give it up to do bc hydro do make a way to profit off of this. I mean people in the winter are going to pay a lot more for heating their house. 5c/kwh is pretty much 45% increase,

Step 1

10.97 cents per kWh for first 1,350 in an average two month billing period (22.1918 kWh per day).

Step 2

14.08 cents per kWh over the 1,350 Step 1 threshold.

6. It’s for home use, not charging stations. They don’t know that you are charging a car, just when you are using electricity. You could shift other things to overnight as well (e.g. clothes dryer) but car charging is usually the biggest use by far.

7. To remove this ad click here.