Battery warranty Canadian Kona EVs

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by George Davidson, Jun 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

On our Kona EV Ultimate, purchased in Feb 2019, the battery died at 134,000 km in April 2021.

26,000 km before the 160,000 km distance cap expiration.

Under warranty, we got a replacement battery. It took six months for the new battery to arrive. We were driving loaners for 5 - 6 months. Some 40,000 km on 5 or 6 loaner cars.

The replacement battery did not get the same warranty as the original battery which as you know is 160,000/8 years whichever comes first. Instead, the replacement battery got the remainder of the 26,000 km (160,000 km - 134,000 km = 26,000 km)

The remainder warranty of 26,000 km for a new battery did not seem to be sufficient, fair ... you name it. We voiced our disagreement.

At the moment 168,000 km on the odometer. The remainder warranty of 26,000 km is gone. No warranty on the battery for the last 8,000 km.

If this battery dies, we will have to pay some $10,000 - $15,000 for a new battery. That new battery will have a warranty of 20,000 km/12 months only.

Someone else could share their experience?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Probably the highest mileage I have seen so far, I would expect at least the same on the new pack if not more so don't loose any sleep.
    This is the US price for a replacement so if you can find one (if required) for less from say an auto wrecker or salvage I would jump on that.
    Eventually there will be a market for cell replacement (at a reduced cost) as there are a lot of Kona EVs out there in the planet, just a matter of time.;)