Battery Waranty

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Mar 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I understand the warranty on a battery on a Kona in the US is "lifetime" Here in Canada its 8 years. Does anyone know the particulars on that warranty. With a Leaf it is 8 years if the capacity stays at 80% after a charge. Now of course with warranty's you never know if companies honor them with out any BS. I'm always Leary about "lifetime".. If someone knows all the particulars on the 8i year warranty here in Canada Pls chime in Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

EV System includes motor, inverter unit, VCM, reduction gear, DC/DC converter, onboard charger and connector, trickle charge cable, in-cable control box and high voltage battery. ^Calculated based on a fully charged battery. This is the wording from Hyundai website. The EV system warranty is 8 years or 160k, so it covers more than just the battery. Not sure of the capacity level though.

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I picked up my new Kona today so this is what it say in the battery warranty. 6 years 160,000kms Below 70% of the original capacity...Leaf is 80%..The warranty covers the cost to bring the battery capacity back to 70% not full capacity. Though it may get full It will be replaced or repaired. Here's the kicker. It might be a New battery or recondition one. It then states again that it maybe won't come up to full capacity but it will be at least to 70%. I think and I will clarify this that the battery is still covered under the 8 years etc. so if it goes under 70% again which it might, then they will replace or repair again as stated below. So that begs the question why would they give you a 70% battery when in all likely hood it may drop to 65% in a year.

Of course As I read some where and I don't know if I'm correct it may say it's 100% full but it's really 110% full make sense. I wouldn't and won't worry about this just drive it..

5. drivingbythesun

drivingbythesun New Member

Where does it say the 70% battery capacity? I read the warranty booklet (the small separate one) end to end and didn't see that in there. I haven't gotten through the manual yet, is it hidden in there somewhere?

Linda

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

It's in the service passport page 9 left column

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. drivingbythesun

I did not get a "service passport' and just looked at page 9 of every booklet I got. Is yours from the US too?

9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

No from Canada google service passport for KoNa EV you may find it

10. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Any updates? Isn't your US battery warrantied for life? In Canada it is not a life warranty on the battery.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. drivingbythesun

Life of the first owner. But it doesn't say anything, that I can find yet, anyway, about what exactly its warrantying - like the battery losing so much of it's charging ability, or just a total failure.

13. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Driving read the other posts