Battery drain

Discussion in 'Volt' started by JJ Spruiell, Jun 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JJ Spruiell

JJ Spruiell New Member

Dealership diagnostics says my 2012 volt ‘s Onstar doesn’t turn off, which drains the battery. New onstar module is discontinued. Looking for used one, but have read conflicting advice. Unplug onstar module, but it will disable GPS, compass, clock, remote start….
    Replace module: must match exact part # vs. any GM car’s onstar module will work on my volt. I found a module on eBay that said in the review that it works on a 2012 volt, i tried to save it, but didnt happen and cant find it again. I have to either replace the module, or replace the car.
    F

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I found 8 Volt-compatible OnStar modules on ebay including this 2012 module (with the warning it's not guaranteed to work with all 2012 Volts). At $350, it's a lot more expensive than the trickle-charger alternative.

4. JJ Spruiell where are you from? Do you live in Canada? GM had replacement modules for there but not in the states... The 2012 OnStar Module in the states has essentially been relegated useless since the 3G/2G Cell shutdown. The only thing still relevant is the GPS and compass.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That loss of connectivity would seem to make these modules on ebay less valuable now.