Advice needed: Is Homelink worth $350?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kerbe, Jul 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

My garage door is Android-enabled and opens and closes when cued by my phone or smart speaker voice commands: It opens as I drive up and closes as I drive away. Do I also need to have Homelink?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hamilton Fish

Hamilton Fish New Member

Because your existing smart phone does the job, I would see no reason to spend money to add Homelink which accomplishes the same task.
    I have Homelink. It came standard in my 2018 Model 3 and I would not be without it. It also came in a package of trim options on my other cars in the past and now and it is and was worth the cost to me. But technology evolves. If the same task is completed by your smart phone, no reason to revert to a vehicle based technology unless others in your family do not have the same app on their phones.

Kerbe likes this.
  4. Hamilton Fish

Hamilton Fish New Member

One additional feature of Homelink which is of value to me, but may not be applicable to your situation.
    Home link support up to three opening devices. Thus, in addition to my own garage door, it opens the gate to my condo community, and the door to a relative's home.

Kerbe likes this.
  5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

You also have the the integration with myQ but liftmaster wants you to pay for the subscription. That requires you to have a working Internet connection if your Internet is down, your garage door will not open. for me my disgust at the idea of having to pay for my car to be able to make a call over the Internet versus their app made it a no-brainer. I refused to give them up to $300 for their lifetime membership to allow a third-party app to send the same amount of traffic through their servers as using their first party app

6. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

One thing to know, however, is that with the homelink module it will send the command and assume that the door did with it wanted I’ve had a few times where it thought it close the door and it did not and when I got back it tried to open it even though the door was still open and closed the door

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never connected MyQ - I added a Tailwind device. https://gotailwind.com/

9. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

FYI - I purchased a Homelink transceiver and installed it into the M3 myself. So far it works like a charm and seems to be a bit more reliable than the Tailwind when it comes to recognizing my arrival.

insightman likes this.