Adding a hitch to Mini SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by A_C, Feb 22, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. A_C

A_C New Member

After reading the posts here I decided to order the Curt hitch and install it myself on my brand new SE. Several items were very useful (and some essential) for completing the install. My headlamp was the most important! You also need a 10mm deep socket and a drill / power driver helps things go a lot faster. I put the car up on ramps and began with taking the trim rings off and then the lights out. Used bike tire levers here and put some painters tape on the panels so they wouldn’t get scratched.

Then I took off part of the wheel arches on both sides followed by all the bolts across the bottom of the bumper. Note that there is one hidden bolt about 8” up inside the bumper on the right as you are looking at the rear of the car. I couldn’t figure out why after unplugging all the sensors (and bolts I could see) that it wouldn’t release. After looking underneath I found the single bolt holding the cover on. If this was covered in other recaps I missed it.

I had to trim a little bit around the plastic housing by the mount bolts, about an inch. I pulled the left side of the plastic up after unbolting it and slid the hitch on underneath the plastic mount unit. Then trimmed out the plastic pan and bolted everything back together. The only thing I couldn’t complete was attaching the wheel well trim pieces to the white and red stoppers. I had to remove these when I reassembled everything. If they prove to be essential I’ll get a new pair, they don’t appear to be as the three tabs toward the rear hold the piece on toward the back.

In all it took me about 90-100 minutes from start to finish. Having all the tools like a small angular driver for the hard to reach spots really helps.

Now I can carry my bikes with ease. Cheers!

EE04F2EA-66FE-403A-B4B9-99A967B67B7F.jpeg 73E2D1DF-5DD3-48B6-80D6-DA2FAF2CFBD8.jpeg IMG_0053_Original.jpeg IMG_0050_Original.jpeg IMG_0055_Original.jpeg

insightman and Rexsio like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Great job, @A_C! You clearly have the necessary skills (and tools). Can you show us the installed hitch? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  4. A_C

A_C New Member

IMG_0061.jpeg IMG_0062.jpeg IMG_0063.jpeg
    Here are a couple photos. It’s virtually hidden unless you are looking directly under the trunk. Let me know if you have questions about install.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    beerhecht, Puppethead and insightman like this.
  5. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

@A_C what made you use a hitch rather than the VIP Customs bike rack solution with steel rods?

6. A_C

A_C New Member

Install looked straightforward, hitch was $240 and I can use the it for other things. I also really like the 1up racks, have 2 of them. Very well made and close by in Wisconsin. Also, I’ve never heard of VIP customs rack. Searched and found one on eBay that was $999.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

9. A_C

A_C New Member

Interesting. If I didn't already have a couple hitch based racks I would have maybe looked into it. I like to be able to carry 2 bikes at least as well. Plus if needed I can tow a small sailboat. Nice to have options. Cheers!

Puppethead and JonR like this.
  10. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

FYI, the VIP rods are too short to attempt 2 bikes.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm upgrading my rating to "a really great job!"

A_C likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.