AC charger capacity

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by apu, Nov 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Does anyone know what the onboard AC charger capacity is for North America.
    Is it 7.6Kw or otherwise stated 32 amps x 240V single phase like on the Kona? Or is it larger?
    I have been looking but have only seen a reference for European models at 10.6Kw 32 amp 3 phase. Thanks in advance

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ian S

Ian S New Member

On page 78 of the US owner's manual, it's listed as 10.5 kW for the onboard charger, hopefully they don't change that :)

4. Cool, thanks Ian. So it looks like it will take at least a 40 amp EVSE. I am feeling good about installing a 50 amp circuit when I got the Kona :)

electriceddy and Ian S like this.
  5. Ian S

Ian S New Member

Excellent. What kind of EVSE do you have? Did you run the 50 amp circuit yourself?

This'll be our first EV so the circuit install will happen in the next couple of months while we wait for the vehicle itself... :)

electriceddy likes this.
  6. 50 A capacity cable will only get you 9600W (50A*.8*240V).
    As of late, I have advised all who ask to run #6 cable capable of 11,500 W (60A*.8*240V) which would indeed have no issues supplying the full capability of the 10.5kW OBC in the Ionic 5, as well as most others manufactured these days (including Tesla):
    Model Onboard Charger Recommended circuit breaker for Wall Connector installation
    Model S
    Model X
    Model Y
    Model 3 Performance
    Model 3 Long Range
    11.5 kW
    (48 amp) 60 amp circuit breaker
    Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive 7.7 kW
    (32 amp) 40 amp circuit breaker
    Of course make sure your home's calculated load in conjunction with your main electrical service can handle it. EVs require 100% demand towards that calculation.;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    mho, Ian S and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.