ABRP to Compare Cars?

Discussion in 'General' started by Smitty79, Apr 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I have a 2019 Model 3 AWD LR and I find A Better Route Planner to be pretty accurate. Do you all find it accurate for your car?

I'm thinking of buying a second EV and I am thinking of screening the road trip capability of cars based on how well ABRP predicts the car will do on a 600 mile road trip I do a few times a year. Is this a reasonable way to screen for which cars to look at more closely?

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The last time I tried Better Route Planner, it defeated me. I tried it again only to discover it did not show alternate SuperChargers on my route.

In contrast, PlugShare shows alternate SuperChargers along the route and easily modifies the route to use them. You build the route by adding SuperChargers as needed.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have also used ABRP to compare potential future cars.

As for my experience, I have a Bolt and Mini SE and have used it to plan trips for both. I have found it to be reasonable but conservative for both of these cars. I can usually leave a charger in 10% less time than predicted.

That said, it does a poor job of predicting cold weather charging rates. The Bolt really throttles back charge rates when the battery is cold. ABRP does not account for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs