A perplexing Apple Car Play issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickker, Mar 24, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. We have a new '24 Kona. My wife and I both have iPhones, model XR. Both are running IOS 17.4.1. I paired my phone to Bluetooth and had wireless Apple Car Play set up and working very easily. Took about a minute following instructions. I then followed the same process with my wife's iPhone. It paired to Bluetooth but would not hook up to Apple Car Play. I then deleted my iPhone from the car, and started over with her iPhone, figuring that maybe only one phone could be registered. Same thing, it paired right away to Bluetooth but would not hook up to Apple Car Play. So, there must be something wrong on the wife's iPhone settings, right? That would explain it. But I have painstakingly compared all the relevant settings side by side. They are the same. I then tried using a USB cable the way we had Apple Car Play on our previous 2019 Kona. Nothing doing. For some perplexing reason, my iPhone hooks up just fine, and hers does not. With identical settings. It does not make sense.
    Now, I understand that only one phone can be using Apple Car Play (or Bluetooth) at the same time. That's OK. The issue here is that one phone just won't hook up even if it is the only one registered.

Now, since the phones are identical, could the Kona be blocking my wife's phone from hooking up? There is a personalized greeting at startup which the dealer set up. It says "Good Morning, Rick" or something similar. My phone displays "Rick's iPhone" on the screen. Could this be a connection that blocks other phones from hooking up? I realize I am grasping at straws. Thought I would post this in case someone has had the same issue. Thanks for reading through this lengthy post.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Country/region set correctly and Siri is enabled?

Deleted any relevant prior Bluetooth connections from the list?

And here's a comment I found:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  4. The problem has been solved. It was after all a setting on my wife's phone. All good now thanks to Kevin at Kingston Hyundai. Case dismissed.

5. You're welcome and can you indicate what that setting was for the community's knowledge?

6. W
    Well, I'm not sure. He was working fast, checking and/or unchecking all the same items that I had tried and somehow got it connected. For sure you need to go to Settings, General, Car Play and make sure the Kona is there and switched on.

7. To remove this ad click here.