A look at the battery pack of the SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Nov 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am following a group on FB, and a guy, Doug Collins, posted the attached pic and said

“My Mini SE had a "Drivetrain" error and had to be towed to the dealer. Here is a picture of the battery pack. The mechanic said there are 12 batteries; a pair in the front, two singles in the middle and 4 pairs in the back. The back ones have a voltage issue and are being replaced.”

Just sharing the pic of the batteries of the SE, pretty cool to see it.

Doug if you are here on this forum, my sincerest apologies for plagiarising your FB post.

IMG_8910.JPG

J22, pictsidhe, insightman and 6 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Here's some more from a while ago (stolen from Reddit)

20210826_144718.jpg 20210928_140528.jpg

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The “driveshaft” tunnel is HUGE.

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics, this is fascinating. It's easy to see how a bespoke design could be a lot more efficient for battery fitment.

Carsten Haase and SameGuy like this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Because it was actually designed to be an exhaust tunnel, it's even more amazingly HUGE!

GetOffYourGas, CoachCookie and Qisl like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I agree. I think it is very impressive that BMW managed to add batteries to the MINI Cooper.

What I'd like to see is the service manual that describes how to remove the battery pack from the car.

J22 and azausa like this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I remember seeing an early production video stating the battery "T" was held in place by 12 bolts, plus the coolant lines and high voltage cable(s). I know the coolant ports are in the front (the narrow end). So I'd think fairly easy to remove.

10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That is comforting seeing active cooling on the double stacked battery modules. What is more interesting is that the blue rectangles are the battery cells which only span half of the module so that single modules are 2x8 and double modules are 2x8x2.

The i3 Samsung SDI has VHS-style cells and the CATL ones look brick-like? Nobody ever had the specs of the CATL cells...

11. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Way bigger than an R53. I was wondering how the managed to squeeze the batteries in.

12. To remove this ad click here.