2024 loyalty and military bonus removal

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by XtsKonaTrooper, Dec 28, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Sales guy just messaged me and said Hyundai Canada is removing both bonuses in the New Year.
    Anyone else hear this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did you ask if there would be any price reductions in 2024?

4. XtsKonaTrooper

Didn't ask that.
    I did goto another dealer today to sit in an i6 and asked about the rumour, to the sales guy and he said, never heard that.
    Starting to think now, prolly a tactic for me to put money down on one, till I decide if I'm going the i6 or kona route.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Well, I have heard (on the other forum) dealers in the US are giving huge discounts now on the I6, probably others as well. That could mean price reductions down the road.

Is there plenty of stock now there with I6s. There was none until a couple months ago, and now lots here. My dealer says that sales have really slowed here, since the higher interest rates. His sales people were first being hit by no inventory available (few allocations), and now customer demand has dried up. At the least you should get a smoking deal.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  6. XtsKonaTrooper

Well it looks like availability is there now.
    I was surprised dealer near me had a rwd ultimate i6. I can get by without awd and really want most range. As far get up and go, if I want need for speed I just jump on my motorcycle hehe

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yeah, I heard they now have an Ultimate RWD. My AWD in ECO uses only the rear motor most of the time, and you get only that power when you tromp it. But it is still plenty to get ahead of the crowd at a red light. The main diff to get that extra range is 225 wide tires with the 18s vs 245s with my 20s. The cost is both extra drag and more rolling resistance.

9. But it is the fast charging that is the biggest diff with the 2024 Kona. 10-80% in 18 minutes is sweet.

10. I wish I could believe that market forces are driving prices down but I think both dealers and manufacturers got a taste for the sweet, sweet profits that "scarcity" has brought and they are going to do everything they can to maintain it.

Also, the differences between the Canadian and US markets right now (if they are to be believed) make any discussion about "market forces" a bit of a joke. BC, Quebec and Ontario are as different as California and Idaho. One area's surplus is another's scarcity. And, of course, there's been just a huge upsurge of anti-EV media lately too. It's a mess that's going to take years to sort out. And except for a couple of players like Hyundai/Kia and Tesla I don't think that mainstream EV manufacturers are really trying very hard to influence markets in a way that benefits EVs.

* I'm excluding Chinese companies because they're a non-factor in North America right now.

11. You're right about the anti-EV FUD in the media, and the internet. We're seeing it here, too. Some of my non-EV owner friends keep sending me the crap, and am getting tired debunking it all the time. Unfortunately the youtubers make money off of sensational headline clicks, as do the mainstream media with their advertisers.

But I assume you have noticed the CAD is approaching .76 USD now. And we don't even have high oil prices that usually drive that. That should help our buying power here.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

The funny thing about anti ev stuff, they don't share all the facts.
    Latest one I seen Tesla guy with 10yrold car, 190,000 miles on it and crying the blues , it's 27k cdn for a battery.
    What I really think the biggest joke is, is building EV battery plants in North America....there's a reason , they are built elsewhere. If anything NA built ev batteries, will drive up the price.
    Come February, I've had an EV 5yrs, I know what my savings has been.
    But Hyundai has shot themselves in the foot with these overpriced ev batteries. In the news. seen my workorder for the recalled ev battery and it was listed at approx 11k and another 4k for labour.

14. They are only overpriced right now because there have been so few failures and writeoffs on these new cars to warrant a repair and refurbishing plant in NA (unlike the older brands like Tesla). But from what I have learned is that the I5/I6 battery packs have been designed to so that modules and even individual cells can be replaced. We have an 8 year warranty and I have 5 years of replacement insurance (a must for this car IMO) on both of our EVs. So I am not worried. Batteries for these cars should be a lot cheaper in 8 years.

I read somewhere that 30% of the cost of a new EV is the battery.

15. How did you procure "5 years of replacement insurance"?

16. From various insurance companies. They compete with each for best price and coverage. I have replacement insurance for all my new cars in the last 20 years, usually only 3 years. But this time decided to go 5 years, because of the potential for high depreciation. For my I6 it cost me $2177 total, OEM only parts, and they cover all accidents, too, and our ICBC (our govt insurance) deductible. So I took the $500 deductible, to save bucks there, too. Most people I know here do that these days. And oh, if you sell you car before, they give you back the unused years portions.

17. Oh! I have that as a rider on my policy too - for 3 years. I thought you had found BATTERY replacement insurance specifically.

18. XtsKonaTrooper

With regards to the battery , I was hoping that 5yrs ago.
    All I know if in 8yrs ,which will be basically 2032, if the price of batteries is not somewhat fair, it's gonna be a hard sell for the government forcing to buy EVs in 3yrs time from then.
    The governments might have these great visions of EVs, it would help if the Ministers involved understood EV tech, the consumers and the infrastructure.
    Instead of giving these grants for businesses to install chargers, why not install the chargers themselves and once the initial cost is covered in time. The then profits go back into the EV infrastructure.
    They had a lax attitude about refineries and now only have 11 in Canada, when it was pure common sense back in the 80s and 90s, that we would never have enough refineries for the future.
    I'm also curious about ur replacement insurance too hehe

R P likes this.
  19. Haha, no, don't think you can get that... In the long past, I used to get it as a rider, which got progressively more expensive every year, and not worth carrying it over 3 years. But now the private insurers offer it as separate policy, and because they cover your $500 deductible, your primary insurance is cheaper, too. Not sure how exactly it works in Ontario, you are all private there. But here, you are forced to buy the basic from ICBC and then can go 3rd party on other stuff.

Wildeyed likes this.
  20. XtsKonaTrooper

Come to think of it, I think my insurance covers maybe the first 2yrs with the new car purchase but I will have to check that out again , once I get the new car.

R P and Wildeyed like this.
  21. The cash refundable "portion" is substantially less than the actual paid. Ie: will get back ~ 25% on a 7 yr NVR policy 3.5 yrs old with 3.5 years left, but I am not complaining. It is real security for above mentioned reasons.

22. There is nothing wrong with putting down a deposit on an ordered car and cancelling it later (done it 3 times this year). Have them put the loyalty incentive (and any other applicable) in writing on a purchase summary, no worries. Trade in value may vary depending on circumstances (ie additional mileage between order, market etc. I find getting extended warranty priced in a quote will give you better trade in value, and you can always drop it should you decide later.
    I am tired of shopping for cars, hopefully my I5 arrives soon, and the pain will be over. It was due a month ago, then a week ago, maybe early January. Whatever:rolleyes:

23. XtsKonaTrooper

I think I'm gonna wait out, till I get some money owed to me. With doing the trade , not comfortable putting money down and then being tied to a low ball offer on my trade, as I'm sure I couldn't get the deposit back and shop elsewhere then. I'd rather go in, get the trade value on the spot and if the price is right , show up next day and get the car.
    Did a trade years ago and a few weeks later, they lowered the trade value before I finalized everything.