2023 M3 RWD LFP Capacity

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kerbe, Aug 28, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

As Tesla doesn't reveal the capacity of their battery packs anymore, there seems to be a lot of speculation across the mavens and pundits on the internet: I've found various reputable sources (ie. "long-time posters") giving figures of 60, 60.2, 60.5 or 62kWh while all pretty much agreeing that the useable capacity lies somewhere between 57 and 58kWh.

I pulled into my garage with 10% capacity remaining and charged to 100% overnight - adding 54kWh. So it pretty much appears that my useable capacity is right at 57.5kWh - unless I'm doing the math incorrectly...

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Close, the correct calculation:
    54 kWh / (100% - 10%)
    54 kWh / 90%
    54 kWh / .9 = 60 kWh
    I used this technique to estimate the battery capacity at the dealer in Florida of my 2017 BMW i3-REx. The larger the SOC change, the more accurate the true capacity. Don't forget there are parasitic loads and battery capacity is a function of temperature. So use it as a 'rule of thumb' better than nothing.

Bob Wilson

4. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Part of a sentence was missing from my original post and I didn't notice until after it was too late to edit!

As Tesla doesn't reveal the capacity of their battery packs anymore, there seems to be a lot of speculation across the mavens and pundits on the internet: I've found various reputable sources (ie. "long-time posters") giving figures of 60, 60.2, 60.5 or 62kWh while all pretty much agreeing that the useable capacity lies somewhere between 57 and 58kWh.

I pulled into my garage with 10% capacity remaining and charged to 100% overnight - adding 54kWh. So it pretty much appears that my useable capacity is right at 60kWh, unless that 10% was actually 6% - which would indicate a useable capacity of 57.5kWh - unless I'm doing the math incorrectly...

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

See my "replacement" post, above...

bwilson4web and electriceddy like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

"too late to edit!" been there, done that. <GRINS>

Hopefully, my minor correction did not cause any angst. It is hard to remember to 'smile' when posting some polish to an excellent post.

Bob Wilson​

Kerbe likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Not a problem, Mr. Bob!