2018 Leaf Charging Port Lock

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by DJP, Apr 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DJP

DJP Active Member

One of my disappointments with the 2018 Leaf was the removal of the toggle switch which allowed you to put the charging port into Auto Lock or Lock quickly. I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to lock the charging port without having to go through the somewhat pain in the rear menu system.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Its easy to find in the menu so I don't know why you state its a pain.

4. DJP

DJP Active Member

Well, more painful than flipping a toggle switch which can be done without getting back into the car for the pre-2018 models and which was easy for drivers new to a Leaf to understand.

Now, you need to explain to new drivers how to access the menu, which main menu to navigate to and which sub-menu to use and then you can select the port to be put into lock, unlock or auto mode.

What I did find out in the meantime is that you can set the port into lock or auto mode "permanently" and then unlock the port (say when returning to get your car from the charging station) and the port can be unlocked either by unlocking a door or the rear hatch. This will unlock the port for 30 seconds. The same thing can be done by the Intelligent Key by holding the charge pot lid open button for more than 1 second. This is more than enough time to unplug the car.

(Info on page CH-33 in 2018 Owner's Manual)

Anyhow, now I'm happy that I don't need to navigate the menu system to lock or unlock the port.

5. Jake Branch

Jake Branch New Member

I put in Auto lock until full. It stops kids from unplugging your car. When the car is full, I don't care. If I want to unplug early, I just push and hold the bottom button on my key fob for a few seconds. It works well for me.