2018 Honda Clarity Level 2 Charging problem - FYI

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jpkik96, Apr 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

All - It has been a while since I last posted here and my 2018 Clarity Touring is now just over 57,000 miles. The battery definitely shows signs of degradation - it now reads 45.54 mah and the GOM is down to 40 miles at a full charge but the ar continues to run great.

Yesterday, I started having a Charging Problem where the Clarity does not fully charge using my ChargePoint Level 2 charger. With 10 miles showing on the EV GOM, it stopped charging after 30 minutes and proceeded to start charging again (without me unplugging) 2x before it shut down. I called Chargepoint and reset the power to my station but still encountered the problem. Fortunately, I was able to fully charge the Clarity last night using the Level 1 charger.

I searched this forum and found a few posts of users that have experienced issues with their Clarity at Remote Level 2 chargers (including Chargepoint) and also see Honda issued Service Bulletin 18-097 on 3/12/19 to address this issue on impacted 2018 Clarity's. Someone also suggested the Level 1 charger may also reset the Clarity's charging memory so I am going to try that this weekend.

Does anyone else with a 2018 Clarity have any experience with this issue? Or with having the dealer update the Service Bulletin. As alway, thank you in advance for your review and reply.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Have you enabled "smart charge"? That might cause it.

4. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

Thank you for your reply. No - I prefer to manually charge on my own terms (and times) so have not enabled. But even if I did, wouldn't this impact Level 1 charging?

Thanks and regards

Jay

5. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I have started having problems with my 32 amp Mustart charger. I am still able to charge properly at 220v with the 12 amp OEM charger. (Not a problem of level 1 vs level 2, but charging rate.) I will be trying at a public 6 kw charger, but both stations were tied up last time I was there.

My battery is also below 46 aH capacity... I have been wondering if the reduced battery capacity is causing problems with the fast charging.

6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This almost sounds like it could be an intermittent 240V connection with the wiring feeding the EVSE (either in the breaker box, or at the other end where it connects to the EVSE). Or, maybe the contactor in the EVSE could be failing. Maybe it could even be in the cable from the EVSE to the vehicle.

I would carefully inspect the female contacts in the J1772 connector, and the male pins in the vehicle to make sure all the contacts look good. Somebody in this forum had a problem where one of the pins in the vehicle had retracted some and caused an unreliable connection.

18-097 would seem unlikely to me... I think that was not so much an issue with home EVSE's, but rather with public ones.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

Quick update - for whatever reason, after charging using the OEM Level 1 charger for 2 nights, I tried my ChargePoint again and it is now working fine.

MrFixit - I think your theory is probably correct and there may be an issue with the J1772 connector, which is now approaching four years old. If it acts up again, I will have my electrician inspect it and start looking for a replacement cable. Thanks for the suggestion

9. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My 2018 has 61k miles and no charging problems. Is there a simple way to read the battery capacity?, I am curious where mine stands.

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

There are 3 ways to do this. The 1st is the AP200 (not recommended).

Approach #1:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/read-battery-capacity-yourself-autel-ap200-breakthrough.9913/

Approach #2:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/budget-battery-capacity-readout.10531/

Both of these threads are quite cluttered - I recommend Approach #2 because the AP200 has been poorly supported.

Approach #3:
    Finally, there is one other (lesser used) option that is based on Approach #2. This option generates a nice formatted report directly to your PC. You can see that one here (along with an example report):
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/pc-based-electric-powertrain-report-battery-capacity.12220/

As always, I am happy to assist if you want to try this and get stuck somewhere along the way.