17" Winter Tires Offset

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Lowell_Greenberg, Aug 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

For 215/55/17 winter tires, and 17" diameter rims/7 inch width- is an offset of 38 sufficient? My guess is 40 or 45 would be better to avoid issues with the brake calipers. Has anyone tested this?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jparkes57

jparkes57 New Member

I am using MSW type 85 17x7 45mm offset on my clarity PHEV - they fit and look good. Hope that helps.

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

Gunmetal Painted
    Size: 17x7 Offset: 45mm

cokeb5 likes this.
  4. Evfred

Evfred Member

I can’t comment on the 38 but my tire shop installed 42 offset on my winter steel rims and they worked fine when I tested them for about 3 weeks.

Just waiting for winter now...

5. Lowell_Greenberg

I think I may have misunderstood the relationship between offset and caliper clearance. The smaller offset has greater caliper clearance, however offset differences between stock tires and replacements can effect handling, wheel bearing wear, as well as positioning of the tire in relation to the suspension, frame, fender well, etc. .

I am looking at Konig Control, 7 inch, 5X114.3, 17 inch, 45 mm offset. There seems to be some consensus here that these specs/wheels will work well on the Clarity using 215/55/17 tires.

Getting re-sizing right seems more like an art than a science, and changes in handling characteristics caused by changing tire and wheel size are difficult to predict.

What I am unclear on is how minus and plus sizing, along with offset can impact wheel bearing wear.

6. Lowell_Greenberg

I am beginning to wonder if whether the ideal wheel dimensions with a 17 inch tire are:

17/7.5/5-114.3/50 mm

Assuming there is enough brake clearance, the above will not change the scrub radius (better for handling) and will fit the recommended tire size to maintain the same wheel circumference for accurate speedometer readings.

Another poster mentioned that the Enkei M52 worked for him. Assuming the right load rating- this seems to make sense.

Or am I over thinking this???

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

You’re not over thinking it! You’re doing a good job of considering all aspects of fitment. Way too many folks go solely by looks or consider just one parameter like clearance. You’ll end up with a safe and workable wheel and tire for the winter. There are a number of other wheel threads on here that might help with your research.

9. jparkes57

jparkes57 New Member

check out one of the tiresize wheel-offset-calculator sites. you can compare the original 235/45R18 on 8Jx18 ET50 against the various winter wheel setups and see a nice overlay of the 2 setups.

4sallypat likes this.
  10. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

Would love to see a picture of them on the car if you have a chance sometime.

11. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

In the same boat - I am planning for winter shoes on my new Clarity. Will definitely be getting Hakka tires, but need to find suitable wheels.

Has anyone got official recommendation from a dealer? Would 17” Accord OEM wheels fit?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Richard Kelly

Richard Kelly Member

yes they will. I used 17 x6.5 55mm offset 10 spoke wheels off a 2015 ( I believe) Accord. Pictures up on last years 17 inch winter tire thread.

14. jparkes57

jparkes57 New Member

Sorry - but my winter wheels won't go back on till nov, dec or later, depending on the forecast and temperature here in north jersey. Probably too late for your needs - I can say that all the clearances and ride height are just fine. They look like they could have come from the factory. The MSW gunmetal wheel paint goes great with the clarity modern steel paint. ...Not quite the same, but try viewing that wheel size on a 2012 accord EX-L to get an idea.

15. Lowell_Greenberg

I decided to go with the Konig Control, 17×7, 45 mm offset with Bridgestone WS-80 tires. The WS80's are on closeout at Tire Rack and Discount Tire's Labor Day sale made the pricing on the rims very competitive.

The Konig's are a good winter wheel and the WS80s have solid reviews. Changing the offset by only 5mm shouldn't harm anything- and overall Winter handling should not be negatively effected. In fact, the narrower than OEM tires/rims, coupled with improved tire grip, should significantly improve Winter performance.

16. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

I don't see any Konig wheels with 64.1 CB?

The price of the Hakka8 is tempting.

On the other hand, in Canada, the Continental winter contact can be had for $85US pre tax (about $100US tax in). The wheels are comparable starting at around $100+tax.

17. Lowell_Greenberg

Most aftermarket wheels are machined with a larger bore to fit more vehicles and they use hubcentric rings to adapt to the car they’re installed on.

Both tires and wheels were $90 each. The WS80's are considered among the best winter tires- though the Continentals, Cooper, Michelins are all excellent.

18. Lowell_Greenberg

Also, most aftermarket wheels are lug centric, though they can be used with hub rings.

19. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

I have had the best experience with the Hakkas. Had them on my 07 335i twinturbo and had amazing traction on ice and snow.

Then the ones you mentioned pretty much are runner ups. I could add the General altimax tire to the list as it seems to have excellent reviews. One thing I read about the blizzaks is that they are made of 2 layers, and once the top layer wears out, they lose their otherwise excellent properties. Not sure how accurate this statement is though.

20. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

605D9F84-195A-422F-AC4D-1883B9B33C8A.jpeg F1E074F0-B8BE-4C6B-A567-6AD862BDFD15.jpeg
    So the 6.5 wide 55 offset clear the brakes???

I am looking at some 2008-2012 accord wheels that are 7.5x55 and was wondering if there would be any break issues, but if the 6.5 are ok, the 7.5 would be even better.