110 or 114

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Jul 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The original SE range was rated 110 EPA miles. When it came out, the 2022 SE received a bump up to 114 EPA mile range. Now I see that the 2023 is rated at 110 EPA. Any idea what is up?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

The 2023 is rated at 114 according to the EPA website.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The air curtains that replaced the front fog lights starting with the 2022 model is what boosted the range from 110 miles to 114 miles.

Denise C likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In my 2019 letter to head designer Oliver Heilmer, begging to pay extra for a hood-scoop delete option, I tried to butter him up by including a close-up of the fog-light area. I wrote that the sculpting of that element was beautiful. I later found it ironic I chose the classic fog lights to praise because Mr. Heilmer had already decided to do away with them:

upload_2022-7-9_0-41-53.png

6. Puppethead

So you're the reason the fog lights are gone! :D

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

:eek:
    I liked the foglights where they were. Facing forward!

insightman likes this.
  9. Lokie

Lokie New Member

I’ve had my mini se for three weeks and have yet to see a full charge over 100 miles?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2022
  10. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

From the MINI website…

If EPA is 114, why does MINI use 110?

IMG_0225.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. insightman

What!?! The MINI website isn't displaying the most up-to-date information? This is not news.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. vader

vader Well-Known Member

You never will. The main thing to remember is that the displayed range is hideously low. You will still have around 30% left whilst going through 100miles (in sports mode). It really is that bad. Always use the battery percent as a gauge of range, never the GOM.

14. insightman

If you drive slowly on multiple consecutive drives, the GOM will eventually get the idea and show a longer full-charge range. @vader's right, the battery percent read-out is much more meaningful.

15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    1 mile per percentage point. Ugh. Haven’t had to do metric conversion math on the fly in decades!

16. Puppethead

To simplify mental gyrations, maybe try 3 km per every 2% SoC? That comes out to a range of 150 km (93 mi), which is somewhat conservative but probably better than the GOM.

SameGuy likes this.
  17. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Honestly, based on all the reports I read on this site, temperate season numbers are probably closer to 2km/SOC%.

18. vader

vader Well-Known Member

If you live in a warm (ish) climate, then 2.5km/% is about right, especially around town. This is the ultimate (ie flatten the battery) range, so stop before you get there :) If you go with 2km/% in anything warmer than a "cold" climate, you should be fine and have plenty of buffer. I get about 220km at 110kph on the (flat) freeway in a warm climate if that helps.

Rogwp likes this.