Lumbar support?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by DSN, Aug 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DSN

DSN New Member

I've been trying to use the "build your own" configurator at miniusa.com, and can't find any way to tell whether the configuration includes lumbar support - which is a pretty important feature for me. Any suggestions what to do about this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

You could call the dealer and ask which seats come with lumbar support. Or take a poll here. Which seats do you want?

As far as I know they all have lumbar adjustment except for the non-sport seats and the JCW seats. But I could be wrong

4. DSN

DSN New Member

Thanks, chrunck. According to a dealer we visited today, lumbar support in the Cooper SE comes only on leather seats (hence the Iconic trim level).

5. chrunck

I've been poking around this morning looking at interior pictures and I don't think that's true. I know I said to ask the dealer, but I never trust them :)

Satellite grey (iconic) - you can very clearly see the lumbar knob.

[​IMG]

Cross punch leather (sig+) - harder to see, but the knob is there.

[​IMG]

MINI Yours leather (iconic) - I don't see one in this top picture, but it might be hidden by the angle. The bottom picture is from someone selling them, and you can see the knob clearly.

[​IMG]

2nd pic:

[​IMG]

Black Pearl Light Checkered (sig+) - This is the best picture I could find and it's not clear whether the knob is there.

[​IMG]

Cloth/leather black pearl (sig+) - you can see the lumbar knob behind the arm rest.

[​IMG]

GvilleGuy likes this.
  6. chrunck

Additional note: some of these aren't from Cooper SEs and may be from older model years. Most of these seats have been around since 2014, so it's possible they've removed lumbar since then, but I don't know how likely that is.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

This is from a 2020 Cooper S with the black pearl seats. No lumbar, it looks like.

[​IMG]

So maybe the dealer is right and it only comes with leather seats now. But you can get the cross punch leather seats in the Sig+, so you're not limited to just Iconic.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I ordered the Sig+ in cross punch leather and honestly it was the best interior of them all IMO. Has lumbar support too.

10. My base SE does have the sport seats with the thigh adjustment but no lumbar support, really wish I had it. Question is, is it worth the extra 7k or so?

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I love it, but you can get it with Sig+ and cross punch leather to save a few thousand

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

My cloth/leatherette black pearl seats don't have it. I don't really miss it (though I might if I tried it), but I like the smooth look of the side of the seats without the knob.

14. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I think so too, the Iconic seats are close, but there is something about the cross punch feel.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I was forced into the MINI Yours Leather seats when I went Iconic, but I have to say they are extremely nice. The leather is much softer than I expected.

16. chrunck

17. I wish the mini website was a little better... I'm also new here and shopping and I've noticed if you look at a Toyota's main site they have tables that list all the options between the trim levels (very detailed.. they're really good at that) so you can see exactly what you're getting if you pay for a higher trim. The build a mini site was pretty vague so I went into the mini dealership and asked a few questions to the salesperson and.. I sometimes wonder if they even know.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for that link! After seeing the photo on that page I now know what's actually happening inside the seat when I twist the lumbar knob. I'm actually a little disappointed with how simple it is. Costing $400 to do both seats, these kits aren't cheap, but it's great they're available. People complaining about Honda's omission of adjustable lumbar support in the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid have no such option.

19. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

The iconic is okay, but not as fond of the stitching. Definitely not of the color after having nearly identical in my car. But the touch of suede and the feel is by far my favorite and in part why I didn't jump to iconic.

They are nice. I just didn't like the headrests as much. If I went Iconic I was going to get those as well.

20. Melinda Mulcahy

Melinda Mulcahy New Member

Hi there! I wonder if you can help. I purchased this retrofit kit from Outmotoring last June and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it operating. It's easy enough to install, except the arm that connects to the knob is too long, but turning the knob and winding the cable does nothing to the back of my seat. Any help would be appreciated. I'm out $200 if I can't get it working and Outmotoring, though so responsive, insists it works. BTW, my local dealer told me this is not a retrofit kit, but rather a replacement part. Not sure who to believe.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Unfortunately, because my lumbar adjustment knob came installed on my SE, I don't know how to install one. I don't recall any other forum members who have installed this kit, be it a retrofit kit or a replacement part (I doubt this kind of part ever fails). I hope your resurrection of this thread will bring your plight to the attention of someone who has made this kit work.

22. Melinda Mulcahy

Melinda Mulcahy New Member

Thank you so much. It's been a long, frustrating road. Literally NO "how tos" online or provided by MINI. My son is a tech at Mercedes and he couldn't figure it out either. Yikes!

23. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Melinda, add pictures, maybe we can help.