Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hopefully you wind up with a whole new drive train (battery included), just like a new car...about time

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I got this tonight. Battery replacement is scheduled for Monday. Coincidence? Almost no communication for a year and suddenly this. I wonder why? Anybody else get it?

*Edit. Ah! I see why. They changed the recall paperwork today on the website. Now they say they HAVE batteries and WILL replace them by April. Funny how they make it seem like I'm the one who's been tardy and neglected to get the replacement done. Sure...[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    electriceddy likes this.
  4. Better late than never (actually - a lot better late):)

5. PGKona

PGKona New Member

We are scheduled for our battery replacement tomorrow at Northland Hyundai here in Prince George, BC. Dismayed to be reading in these threads that we need to be suspicious that they aren’t actually replacing the battery just faking it. Really? Is this a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. At least one of the posters on this forum believes it's a thing but I don't think you'll find many others believing it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PGKona

PGKona New Member

Thanks Wildeyed. I have a hard time thinking Hyundai would have anything but lawsuits and company breaking bad press so why would they do that?!

Our car is also a December 2018 build.

Looking forward to being able to charge to 100% as that is pretty important for winter travel where we live. 80% hasn’t been a problem when we are doing city driving though.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Wildeyed likes this.
  9. Just curious how your story about procuring your battery and replacement appointment played out? We're you a squeaky wheel? Did Hyundai or your dealer contact you? I'm getting mine replaced tomorrow too and sometimes I feel like I am amongst the last. (Not that I have evidence to support the feeling) Now that Hyundai (as of February 27th) is claiming to actually HAVE sufficient battery supply to actively recruit for replacements to be scheduled, I'm curious how many forum members are still waiting.

10. PGKona

PGKona New Member

We kept in touch with the dealership here throughout this whole process but honestly I always felt we knew more than they did. Our car was their first ev sold from the dealership and they sourced it from Victoria (BC) Hyundai because they weren't ev certified at the time. Late 2021 there was an issue with Northland Hyundai saying we would need to get the replacement done by Victoria Hyundai and Victoria Hyundai saying we had to do it through Northland. I got a call on Thursday from the Service dept. saying they had the parts for our recall, I said what exactly did they have, was it the battery and he said no just some nuts and bolts! I asked them to check on the battery status...heard no more. Then Friday I received the same email you did and Saturday when I talked to the dealership they said the battery was in and booked us for Monday. Left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing but we jumped at the Monday booking for replacement. Yay. Now just hoping we will get the $850 since someone in a previous thread said the program ended in November. We did get the $250 but it took a lot of back and forth to get it.

11. PGKona

PGKona New Member

I would say we have been squeaky but not rude. Want to keep a good relationship going with Northland because we will have to be dealing with them for as long as we own the car and we plan for that to be a long time.

Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks. Apparently the nuts and bolts are very important to the replacement so be happy you know they got them! If you have not done so yet be sure to request and confirm submission of the $850 forms by your dealership. Logically, and legally, I can't see how the program could be closed before eligible recipients have been paid out. Afterall, Hyundai controls both the registration process and the payouts. They can't really both make an offer and deny an offer in the same breath.

14. I know this is a bit late for some but you could make a mark somewhere on the battery case before the replacement. If the mark is still there after the "replacement" then you know the battery wasn't changed. We had jumped a curb that left a big scratch on the bottom of the case, there was no scratch after the replacement.
    There is also enough coolant supplied with the "kit" for a coolant change, make sure they don't just top up the coolant.

navguy12 likes this.
  15. Battery replacement done! Picking it up tomorrow. Motor and reduction gear replacement approved and ordered. My 3 year anniversary with the car passed this past Wednesday the 23rd. I'll be starting my 4th year with a whole new car!

Now about that $850...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  16. PGKona

PGKona New Member

Great to hear! We thought we were scheduled today, got to the dealership and found out the battery was not here (Prince George, BC) but still in Toronto. Some kind of a mix up between the dealership and the folks who schedule recall and maintenance - all that is here is a bag of nuts and bolts! Hoping for sometime in the next 2 weeks.

17. And chances are that battery landed in BC and was shipped cross country to Toronto. It's going to have more mileage than your car before it's even installed! :)

electriceddy and navguy12 like this.
  18. It already has 7500 km on it, before even reaching BCs coast;)

mho and arhnold like this.
  19. New battery installed and brought home from the dealer. Looking forward to a 100% charge tonight. Charge presets were all updated from 80% to 100% by the dealership. I asked specifically if they had replaced the coolant and was told it was. I will be updating my maintenance schedule accordingly.

20. Green coolant I would expect?

Wildeyed likes this.
  21. Whichever is standard for a 2019. The less expensive one.

22. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I'm still waiting. Do you have a link for this Feb 27th claim?

23. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Congrats. What issues were you having for them to replace the motor and reduction gear?