Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Well I was content with matters beyond Hyundai's control but now you have me wondering :mad:;)

Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes, my dealer did screw up the submission of the initial $250, and it took a couple back and forths with corporate and the dealer to get it done. But eventually I got it.

With the battery replacement timing, I was to get a $750 reimbursement. And sure enough, same thing happened. Eventually again, between corporate and the dealer, they got it fixed as well, and corporate confirmed that it is on the way.

Don't know why this is so difficult, but would advise anyone that is still waiting for their money, to first check with corporate to see if the reimbursement was successfully submitted and received. If not, they need to let the dealer know and get it fixed.

4. I talked to my dealer (Airport Hyundai London ON) on Monday asking about the $250 and $850. He said they have me ready to go but still can’t submit in the Hyundai portal for some IT reason. Apparently the Hyundai Corporate bumbling customer service also applies to their IT department. He mentioned that the info from their upstream has also been terrible. They’ll let him know a battery is coming and it could show up in 2 days or a month which he said makes almost impossible to schedule replacements ahead of time. He did joke that they have another battery there waiting for a car and asked if I wanted it, I said sure I’ll take it and build a PowerWall for the house with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  5. Here is your chance @Wildeyed, why not give them a call;)

mho, Wildeyed and navguy12 like this.
  6. I was kind of wondering why Shawn wasn't jumping all over the offer. :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Ok I'm going to get my New battery on Feb.15th What do U need to know to make sure they do The whole process

Coolant full charge etc. I GUESS I'm MORE CONDERNED ABOUT THE COOLANT PORTION

Good to hear about the $850.00 people have been getting

9. The process is spelled out for them in the TSB paperwork. I don't think they're incentivized to skip anything. Also, I don't think they can really do the swap without changing the coolant.

*I called about my delayed $850 and Customer service told me that it is only sent AFTER the battery swap. I argued that it was a baloney move on Hyundai's part and they said they'd "look into it". Suuuure you will. :(

10. A curious development...

I called Hyundai Customer service yesterday to complain about not yet getting my $850 compensation. I was told that the money was not being released until AFTER the battery was replaced. I rather strenuously objected to that arbitrary "rule" and kind of went on a rant about how Hyundai had been handling the recall. The agent said they'd call the dealership. (Their standard deflection)
    Today I got word from the dealership that my battery is "expected" on February 24th.
    It's hard to believe that it's coincidental but, given how useless customer service has been historically, I also have a hard time believing that they actually pulled some levers to make a battery appear. You decide if making a fuss might be worth it in your own case.

11. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

well maybe you just got luck

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have an easier time believing coincidence than luck. ;)

14. ThinkEV

ThinkEV New Member

@RP, can I ask who your dealer is? The dealer on the North Shore seems completely uninterested in helping sort out my issues (Dec 2018 build). At around 40,000 km they limited the battery to 80%. At the 48,000 km service I got the car back with the charge level set to 100%. I have zero confidence in their service dept.

15. Langley Hyundai. That's where I get it serviced, but not where I bought it. They replaced my battery, but as I have reported, had trouble getting the reimbursements, although that has been resolved now. Mine was also a Dec 2018 build.

16. ThinkEV

ThinkEV New Member

@RP, thanks for the info. Cheers.

17. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

The replacement battery failed the test.

Since April 2021 the car bricked. The battery was allegedly replaced in Sep 2021. The car picked up in Oct 2021. It was bricked for more than 6 months, riding loaners the whole half-year.

We were driving the car a lot in November and December to see how the battery performs. Something did not seem right. No increased range. Getting slightly over 300 km at 100%. Today 291 km at 90%. It was like driving with the old battery.

I did not trust the first dealership as they were saying everything is ok.

In January I decided to go to another dealership to have the new battery tested. It failed the test.

I went to a third dealership to have the new battery tested. It failed the test again.

How can I trust the first dealership anymore when the other two dealerships confirm the battery is failing the test and needs to be replaced?

The whole thing is weird. My wife says it is murky as mud.

At this point thinking about going public.

Any more suggestions? Getting a lawyer? Hiring a third party to investigate?

When the tests are performed the "BSA Seria NO." field does not get populated. It is empty. I kind of get an impression that no serial numbers actually exist. Just stickers.

At this point, a sticker with 37501-K4050AS means nothing to me. Just a piece of paper glued to the battery from the bottom.

Another weird thing is the call is still INCOMPLETE. Nearly half a year after replacement.

We are getting close to 8 years / 160,000 km warranty. Is everything done on purpose by the first dealership that we get out of warranty and then we will have to pay the real $$$ for the battery replacement? It just feels that way.

And the thing called warranty? You get the kilometers left up to 160,000. So if you drive a lot and have 135,000 km when the battery is exchanged you get only 25,000 km on the new battery.

Once you pass 160,000 km and the battery needs to be replaced you pay the full price from your own pocket and your new battery gets a warranty of only 20,000 km / one year. Hmmm.

Some of us drive 20,000 km or more a year. I guess we may need to get used to buying batteries every year.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  18. If you have contacted Hyundai Canada Corp about this and not received results, there is another option :
    [​IMG]
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/marketplace/submit-a-story-tip-1.5695097

also CBC's Go Public would be another tool
    [​IMG]
    "We tell your stories and hold power to account.

You can email us directly at [email protected], with your name, contact information and details of the story you would like us to look into.

Your identity will be kept confidential, unless we do a story and you agree to participate."

I would think any of these 2 options would have better results than litigation, bad press doesn't help sell new cars;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    navguy12 and George Davidson like this.
  19. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Mine dealer did too, and I still don't have the $250 or the other amount. My battery was replaced at the end of Sept.

20. Talk to Hyundai Canada, ask for Roman. He helped clear mine up with the dealer.

21. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Roman help me as well

22. Roman gave me the same runaround, scripted responses that everyone at Hyundai Customer Service does.

23. Just got the call! My battery arrived on precisely the day Hyundai said it would. Knock me over with a feather!

I'm having them inspect and change the oil in the differential and inspect my motor noises at the same time. Surprisingly, he said that they have done a drivetrain replacement at their dealership so are familiar with the issue. He said that the drivetrain issue was isolated to the early builds. When I told him mine rolled off the line in December 2018 I could hear him sigh and say "Oh" in a very sad way. :)
    I'm hoping that means I've got a sympathetic ear. We'll see. Very excited...as I pick myself off the floor!