Zurich EW vs Honda Care

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by sassnak, Feb 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. sassnak

sassnak New Member

So when I bought my Clarity a few weeks ago I let the finance guy talk me into an extended warranty. They offered Zurich, and it was quite expensive ($3338, which was "discounted") but comprehensive and 10yr/120k. Having only ever bought one extended warranty before and that being on a used vehicle, I didn't realize you could get manufacturer extended warranties until I saw the thread on here on Honda Care.

Given that Honda Care is waaaay less expensive, and realistically I'm going to hit 120k before 10 years anyway, I emailed my dealer to cancel the Zurich warranty. I have all the info I need to do it and cancelling shouldn't be a problem, but the finance guy wants to call me and talk to me because I'm "missing some important information". I'm inclined to think that although this dealer has a good reputation and they weren't super pushy when I was buying, that in this case he's just going to try and talk me into keeping a warranty that I paid bank for but that isn't actually any better than Honda Care.

I do see from reviews online that Zurich is considered a reputable warranty company and a lot of people seem happy with them, though. Is there something I'm missing for why the Zurich warranty would be worth more? Otherwise I'm inclined to email the cancellation to Zurich and then tell the finance guy too bad, it is already cancelled.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Nope. Nothing special as they are generally all the same. They are all over priced. My dealer quoted me two 3rd party plans and didn't even mention Honda Care. I’m sure because they made more commission from them. When I pressed him on Honda Care he quoted me a price of over $2,600 for the D80 (100,000 m/8 yr). Thanks to this forum I got the Internet quote of $1,304 from Hyannis Honda and made them match it. They have many plans with different milage and time.
    I like the genuine Honda Care since you deal direct with Honda, your information pulls up at any Honda dealer so no keeping up with paperwork, and no waiting for reimbursement. It’s also prorated if you sell or trade in the car and transferable to new owner. Also let me put family members on the road side assistance for free if they drive Hondas or Acuras. And which company would you bet will more likely to be around in 8 years, Honda or Zurich?
    You can go to Hyannis Honda’s website and download the contract and a written quote with confirmation # or buy it direct from Hyannis. It’s all the same and honored at all Honda dealers no matter where you bought it.
    I’d get out of the Zurich and get the Honda Care. Less money and less hassle.

4. Or, consider going “naked” and investing the premium instead.

My full thoughts on the matter:

Why NOT to Buy that Extended Warranty?

An extended warranty can be a rational choice. As can declining one.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

For sure cancel the Zurich at that price. It was obscenely over-priced. I also had a good experience at my dealer until the finance guy. I spent a solid half hour saying no to thousands of dollars in add-on costs. Aftermarket warranties are where they make a huge profit. The return call will just be another hard sell. If you get an extended warranty, get the Honda brand and get whatever length you want, with $0 deductible per use, and at the discounted price mentioned by @KentuckyKen

6. sassnak

sassnak New Member

Thanks everybody for the input. I did end up sending over the cancellation and just told them I had made up my mind and wasn't interested in talking about it further. I will get Honda Care after the Zurich cancellation goes through.

As to getting insurance/not getting it, since this is a brand new model with pretty new tech, I think it is worth getting. I did not get an extended warranty when I bought my last new car, a 2016 Honda Fit, because I knew it was a solid reliable car. I never buy warranties for phones/computers/etc. I will say that one other extended car warranty I got, on a used car, was worth it as I did end up using it. It probably came out about even for cost paid vs repair costs, but it was nice to not have to pay for the repairs as that car broke down the same week my Fit was totaled by an uninsured driver.

7. To remove this ad click here.