XC40 Recharge Range

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by John Lilly, Feb 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. John Lilly

John Lilly Member

I’ve had my XC40 for 6 weeks now and finally allowed the battery state of charge to go below 40% to get an idea of the range in our southern winters (40 degrees average high lately). Based on estimated range remaining (doesn’t show until battery % drops to 35 or so), and going down to 23%, I think I’d get about 165 to 175 miles before exhaust.

I started this trip at 36% and the battery symbol had changed to orange from white, and the range showed. This was new, as there has been no range showing before getting this low. I also got a message when getting into the car asking if I wanted it to find a charging point. Hadn’t seen this before.

Obviously you can’t draw a lot of conclusions from this one test, and I’m not going to go all the way down to validate my estimate, but now I have some idea of the winter range. I’d guess the lower limit’s probably around 140 miles in very cold weather. This is a little disappointing, given that this card does have the heat pump.

We’ll see how it does as the weather warms up.

Aside from the range (which isn’t really much of a surprise, since the kWh/100 mi averages around 45, and with 75 kWh available this should give about 166 miles), and the unfinished state of the software (no Volvo on Call, CarPlay or SiriusXM), I love the car. It’s quick, handles very well, has more extras than I knew, looks good, and is a very comfortable car. It should get better with time as the software improves. Hope so.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

4. Thanks for the update!