Would you buy this car again?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Sep 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Would you buy this car again?

1. No

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Yes

27 vote(s)
    79.4%
  3. Already did

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Just for fun :)

I was thinking about Tesla's overwhelming owner satisfaction scores and how electrification probably improved MINI's numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if MINI is right there with them.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I was relatively late to the SE. After a life event allowed me to lower my D/E ratio substantially, I was able to consider buying myself my first new car in 15 years (my wife’s car is fairly new, and a CUV at that, allowing me a more unique choice). I started looking at new vehicles, but really wanted to go BEV — I’ve written previously that Quebec is the ideal place in North America to justify a BEV, with 99.7% of our electricity from renewables. I honestly didn’t know a series-production version of the MINI e existed, as there is ZERO marketing of the brand up here (though I see MINIs everywhere… IYKYK). After getting frustrated last spring while looking for in-stock BEVs to test, and that my choice was set to be limited to the Bolt, or a bunch of CUVs that are more than I need, I Googled “EVs available in Canada” and was shocked to see the series production version of the MINI e had already been available for almost two years. I immediately set out to test drive it, and though I’d experienced Teslas and Kia EVs as well as the 2021 Bolt, I was sold on the SE within the first five minutes. I’m new to the brand, but have been a lifelong small (and usually quirky) car addict.

Would I add another SE? No, we are DINKs and don’t need a third car again, but if we wanted another fun toy car for summer, I’m now keeping my eye open for a good deal on a 2012-13 Roadster S or JCW. Prices for the long-lusted-after S2000 AP2 keep climbing to the point where I won’t ever be able to justify (or afford) one in good shape. The Roadie seems to still be hovering under the radar, with a low-mileage S around $10k and a nice JCW nearby asking $16k.

Aquavir and polyphonic like this.
  4. polyphonic

Just for sake of absolute clarity, the question is only if you would repeat the decision if given a do-over, not adding another car.
    Consumer Reports famously asks this question in their surveys: “Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would you get the same vehicle if you had it to do all over again?”

Aquavir and SameGuy like this.
  5. ghost

ghost Active Member

I'm surprised at the Tesla owner satisfaction. My wife is trying to make a 3rd appointment to turn off her passenger seat seatbelt warning sign. The first 2 times they had someone come out to our house. Obviously, it didn't work.

We've had it for a year. For Tesla being a tech company, their software is buggy. I couldn't imagine trusting their FSD.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

probably not without the 7500. but, it is my third car, and i can only drive one at a time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Then yes, 100% yes.

Aquavir and polyphonic like this.
  9. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Today? Probably. But likely not in a few years.

I’m not impressed by the Aceman future and I kind of want it all - compact, stylish, fun, decent range, and good tech. It’s clearly not that today and I don’t think MINI has it in them (or if they do BMW won’t let it happen.)

10. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

For the $20k I paid after all of the rebates, absolutely!

My experience has only improved in the last year thanks to Oregon's DCFC expansion and should get even better in the next year based on their published/approved NEVI plan (infrastructure bill)

Aquavir likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When I'm driving fast down a winding country road, my eyes are nearly bulging out of my head, looking for suicidal deer seeking to destroy my favorite car ever.

upload_2022-9-25_0-38-58.png

I'll be sad when it becomes impossible to order a new Oxford SE in case I need to replace mine. Before MINI announced the price in 2019, I was prepared to spend $40K after the $7,500 tax credit. What a delight it was to spend so much less for such a great car! I'd pay $40K if I needed a new one--there is no other car like it at any price.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

Yes yes yes but a 2 motor AWD JCW even more so.

14. Definitely 100% YES. And if I have the money, I will buy also a Resolute Edition, and a Chili Red one and another Black One with a Chili Red roof, and another which I will repaint with a Black Matte finish.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. Absolutely! I wish they would have offered convertible SE.

wessy, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Just keep SE should be good for next10 years at least without Oxford replacement .bc 10 years later they will be absolute.

17. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

If the $7500 tax credit, were still available——definitely yes.

Without the credit, I would wait a bit for the crazy used car market to cool off and to look for a deal on a used SE. I keep my cars for a long time, typically 20 years or more (for ICE cars, anyway), so I’m fine not buying the latest technology.

18. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

So for actual clarity, does it mean a do-over at the price I paid or todays price?
    Because if I could go back in time and do it again I would. Today I would not.

Godfrey likes this.
  19. polyphonic

I was assuming the original deal.

20. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

That was what I assumed also but just wanted to check…

polyphonic likes this.
  21. polyphonic

No prob :) we have that other poll going for the tax credits. Quite different results, lol.

AndysComputer likes this.
  22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Oh, I was assuming the current tax-creditless deal when I said I'd definitely buy again. Of course, if that's my attitude, it doesn't really matter that I didn't understand you were assuming the cost with the $7,500 tax credit.

I find it interesting that some people who chose the MINI Cooper SE based on price alone were lucky to get such a great car, but after driving this great car they don't like it enough to consider it worth paying more than they did.

SameGuy and polyphonic like this.
  23. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

Some of that is 'luxury bias' where people overlook problems because they feel they bought the *best* there is in a category. Teslas have well documented quality issues, but they are generally overlooked and not discussed online for fear of the fanboi brigade coming at you.

Hair in the paint on some Model Ys, early Model 3s with general hardware brackets from Lowe's/Home Depot holding components, misaligned body/trim, etc.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128625_tesla-ranks-last-in-initial-quality-build-issues

My neighbor has a Model 3 bought early this year and no issues he has mentioned. I do think the Model 3 is a bit more mature now and the manufacturing process has been improved.

I now have to go into witness protection from the Tesla brigade.

wessy, ghost and SameGuy like this.