Worst voice recognition ever

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by igough, May 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I received my 2022 Kona Electric Ultimate in Feb and since then have been astounded at how bad the voice recognition is for trying to set up a POI as a navigation destination. Note that I have no problem at all with the speech recognition of Google or Amazon Echo. Yesterday, as a lark, I rolled up all of the windows and turned everything off to minimize background noise and I just started naming places as I was driving past them. I was getting about a 20% success rate. A couple of failures were quite memorable.

"Find Jack Astor's" repeatedly results in a list of check cashing services
    and yet the next search I did for something totally different (don't remember what it was) listed Jack Astor's at the top of the list.
    "Find Honda" always comes back with a message that there is no Hyundai within 85 km, even though the Hyundai dealer I bought the car from was about 1km away. Double failure.
    "Find Colonnade Pizza/Milano's Pizza" comes back with a list of Pizza Hut locations.

Some POI names always work, such as "Find A&W" and "Find Tim Hortons".

But even with these few small successes, I cannot help but think that I am doing something wrong. Do you have any helpful suggestions on what I can do to increase the hit rate? I would prefer to use the built in navigation over Android Auto because as much as I hate the voice recognition, I love having the turn-by-turn directions displayed on the Heads up display (HUD). The HUD is absolutely my favourite tech feature in the vehicle.

2. To remove this ad click here.