Windshield replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by zoominbc, Jan 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

A couple of weeks something hit the Kona's windshield but we couldn't see any visible signs of a chip however during the cold snap in BC the windshield cracked. I phoned our Hyundai dealer to see if they would handle the replacement but they said we needed to go to an auto glass place and they would be able to handle the tech in the glass. The glass place I chose ordered the glass and it arrived the next day, they assumed that with the features on the Kona they they would have to get OEM glass but their supplier said that they had the correct windshield in stock (not OEM). It turned out that the glass place did not have the capability to calibrate the sensors so had it sent over to a Hyundai dealer ( not my dealer) to calibrate and road test. This process took all day and I picked up the Kona the next morning.

As soon as I got above 65 kph the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all kinds or errors and warnings so I returned to the glass place. I don't think the road test was done properly by the Hyundai dealer. The technician at the glass place noticed immediately that the rain sensor had not been clipped in properly and that the camera mount was not properly attached to the glass. They spent another hour during which time they re-bonded the camera mount to the glass and said that if that didn't work they would replace the windshield.

I wasn't entirely happy with this so I asked the technician to test drive it with me and it seems fine, he checked the lane departure detection point on both sides and said the car was fine.
    I'm still debating if I should insist that they do the calibration again or get them to replace the windshield again.

In any case this is just a note to check to make sure that if you get your windshield replaced, the auto glass place is capable of doing the alignment for the Kona in house.

E-Shark likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Were you charged anything from the Hyundai dealer for "re-calibration"?

4. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Windshield replacement is covered in BC with a typical $200 deductible. I didn't have to pay any more for the calibration but the insurance company had to pay for it.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Just found out I need to do a windshield replacement also. Any tips when you did this? The guy I called about windshield replacement said that even though it's recommended to do recalibration, most don't have to do it.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Call another "guy" ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Wow.. just got quoted for replacement of windshield and recalibration for just under $1200. I guess I'll be doing it thru insurance now.. Gone are the days of simple $200 replacement windshields I guess. :(

9. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

With all the tech in the windshield its important to get it done right. The cameras look after the lane keep assist functions and the rain sensor is there as well. The total cost was close to $1200 as well but fortunately we have a $200 windshield deductible in BC.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I thought I had my new car protected with paint protection film...well everywhere except the windshield. It was not until a rock hit my windshield while driving, that I decided that I need to protect that as well. Thank God it did not left a 'spiderweb' chip on the windshield, but it left a permanent tiny chip on the windshield nonetheless. I had to do some research to find a protective windshield film.....I eventually found one, it is called Exoshield. It was kind of expensive at $500 with installation, but considering how I paid over $2,500 for PPF for my car and how they would charge you guys $1,200 to replace/recalibrate the windshield, I guess it was worth it.

You have to clean the windshield and wipers frequently, otherwise film can get scratched if you use the wipers if dirt or debris got stuck on it. Other than that, I had several instances where bigger pieces of rock came flying onto my windshield, and the Exoshield prevented damage to the glass. The film is scratched as a result, but it kept the windshield from chipping. You can always replace the film.

It is something you people should consider.

Gsbrryprk8 likes this.
  11. Unless of course (like zoominbc mentioned) one lives in B.C.. At $500 USD, I can have 3 windshields replaced and some $ left over.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

My insurance will replace windshields for a $200 deductible.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

That is great saving a few hundred bucks.....but is the new windshield the same as the original? I can guarantee you it is not. Even if you get an OEM windshield, you have to waste time re-calibrating it because of the camera. The camera is needed for both the lane keep assist and forward collision avoidance. Like the other guy before you, he had a bunch of dashboard errors that lights up like a Christmas tree. The extra few hundred dollars is not worth it for me to leave the car in the shop and not being able to drive it....and hoping that the fix will comes close to before the crack had happened. To each his own.

15. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

The problem is I wouldn't be willing to put up with the issues you have described with this.