Windshield replacement only insurance?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Phil_Meyers, Sep 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

With the cost of the windshield is there a carrier that offers insurance only for windshields? I have to get comprehensive insurance in order to be covered. I think it's $40/6 months w/ $250 ded. I don't need anything else that it covers.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

We were curious about this too (given the cost of these replacements).
    Our insurance carrier (Geico) covers the windshield under comprehensive too. Of course the deductible applies.
    We currently have comprehensive ($1000 deductible) and it costs $25 for 6 months.
    If we changed to $250 deductible, it would cost an additional $18 per year (would change from $25 to $34 for 6 months).

I am used to $250 windshield replacements and never worried about insurance coverage since that is below the typical deductible. In this case the extra $18 per year may be worth it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. metabubble

metabubble New Member

How much is a new windshield?

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I’m unaware of any companies that offer glass only coverage. There’s really no market for it...

This is because I’m trying to think of a reason someone would worry about having an insurance company pay for a windshield, yet would have no interest or need in the insurance company paying for a fire or flood or theft loss? If one can afford to skip having coverage on the entire car, then one can skip coverage on the windshield too. Am I missing something?

Some choose to self-insure and forego collision and comp insurance, even on new cars. But those people are generally rather wealthy and therefore don’t worry much about the price of a broken windshield either.

I don’t think the product OP is asking about exists in many, if any, insurance companies. Very few people would buy it. The zero/low deductible glass coverage some of us discuss is always a rider/endorsement/hybrid variation of higher deductible comprehensive coverage.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

Because...theft not worried about that. we can leave our car unlocked with the keys it in for 6 months and it will still be here. We live out in the middle of boonies. at work, we are behind gate. Fire, no worried about that. Flood, we live on top of a hill. Windshield breakage has high probability of happening, everyone has that happen at some point.

9. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Cool....

But methinks the product you seek likely doesn’t exist, and if you want your glass insured you’re just gonna have to buy comprehensive coverage and take everything else that comes along with it...

Other examples it covers as I am a former insurance adjuster: Comprehensive claims included damage from hitting animals (deer, livestock, birds, coins, dogs, or humans...these would all be denied by your collision coverage...those are comp losses by policy definitions) and hail/wind/tornado/hurricane/sandstorm/acid rain/lightning strike damage, as well as overspray from industry or driving over freshly painted lines on the road. I also handled many claims of mice and rodents getting into headliners and other places, tearing up all kinds of junk and eating wiring harnesses. And flying rocks and road debris can damage our $1500+ headlights just as easily as well our $1500+ windshields.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

After reading several reports about the difficulty and expense of replacing a Clarity windshield - and because I had to replace the windshield on my recent VW Golf four times over three years - I added a "no-deductible windshield replacement" rider to my insurance policy from Progressive. I believe the cost was about $18/year.