Will The 2024 Blazer Have Battery Pre-conditioning??

Discussion in 'Blazer EV' started by ScubaSteve, Mar 31, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi,

Regarding the Chevy Blazer 2024 EV, I've seen no documentation from GM stating that any of the trims will actually have battery pre-conditioning. Can anyone post a link from GM stating it actually will have it? There are two different versions of battery pre-conditioning:
    1. Warm up the battery prior to departure
    2. Warm up the battery while navigating to a DCFC.

I won't buy another EV without battery pre-conditioning.

Thanks, Steve

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I googled Ultium battery preconditioning and found this Forbes article that explains GM's EV battery preconditioning (unless Forbes made it up):

Ultium EVs will have a manual control for preconditioning the battery to the temperature that will enable peak charging power as soon as it is plugged in. However, if the driver has selected a DC fast charger as the destination in the navigation system, the vehicle will automatically engage preconditioning as vehicle approaches the charger. In the case of the Hummer that will enable it to ramp up to 350 kW charging rates almost immediately with a suitably powerful charger.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Thanks Insightman but the Hummer EV is not the Blazer EV. My Sales Manager looked into it and sent me documentation but no specifics on the Blazer EV. I don't assume that just because the Hummer EV uses the Ultium batteries, that GM will do this for all of their EVs. I need specifics before I proceed with a purchase. Owners' manuals aren't available; that could be a good resource too.

I care what GM, themselves, state. Encouraging as the Forbes article appears to be, I've only seen two GM vehicles advertised with battery pre-conditioning, the Hummer EV and the Cadillac Lyriq, both very expensive EVs. The Blazer EV is not such a high-end vehicle. GM can, literally, choose only to provide battery pre-conditioning on the SS and not on the RS and below trims; I don't know, the Sales Manager doesn't know, an article doesn't make it a fact that all trims will have it.

I made another complaint with Hyundai Canada, since the first one went unanswered. They just take the request and send it back to my sales rep (who has to then contact Hyundai Canada and get no response from them either). They truly don't give a crap about the Canadian owners. Yet, in the U.S., despite telling those customers Hyundai can't enable battery pre-conditioning, retro-actively, for the 2022 models, all of a sudden they rolled it out, and, free of charge.

Now back to the Blazer EV ... any links, specifically mentioning whether this vehicle will or will not have battery pre-conditioning, please post it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

OK, I realize this isn't an official statement on a GM website, but I found this article by googling: blazer ev "preconditioning".

GM confirmed Monday that it plans to include heat-pump technology in all of its current and upcoming Ultium-platform electric vehicles.

That includes the Hummer EV now being delivered and the soon-arriving Cadillac Lyriq, plus many more to arrive in the next several years. In them, the tech will help recover low-level waste heat in ways that can add up in meaningful ways—bringing them quicker acceleration, faster charging, and a longer range

It would make sense that any Ultium EV with the heat pump will be able to perform battery preconditioning. Then the question is whether the heat pump will not be dependent on trim level.

If despite your disappointing Hyundai experience you want to continue as an early-adopter, why not just order a Blazer EV and cancel your order if it turns out the trim level you ordered doesn't include the heat pump or battery preconditioning?

ScubaSteve likes this.
  6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Thanks Insightman.

I found the same article this morning plus the patent application (back in 2020) describing their process. The patent process seems to describe a battery heater, used when plugging in at a charge station; I have this on my Ioniq 5 and it needs a long time to warm up the battery. The article points to there being no requirement to use battery power (or very little) for the heat pump, which is encouraging since they have direct quotes from GM.

The heat pump on my 2022 Ioniq 5 is strictly for cabin heating. I know Hyundai can change this to also include battery pre-conditioning but they are choosing not to, for their Canadian customers. They've lost me now as a future customer. GM, too lost me as a customer, for their ICE vehicles, but am willing to try them again for the Ultium platform EVs. Can you tell I'm still leery about them?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    insightman likes this.