Will resale price for Bolts be hurt by the battery issues?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Johnny Mars, Mar 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Johnny Mars

Johnny Mars Member

I'm looking for a used Bolt for my son who has a 70 mile daily commute. I'm wopndering if Bolts will be relatively cheap from the effects of the battery issues. I'm in NE Florida, and there aren't too many Bolts running around as many people are driving trucks and other ICE vehicles. I would not mind getting a used Bolt without the battery swap done so far.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

The battery replacement is quick and easy, gives you a bit more range and is free. I would wait until its done. Otherwise hew market is tight on EVs.

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

rgmichel likes this.
  5. Sure didn't hurt Kona used prices. Just in the process of selling mine for $5K more than I paid for it 3 years ago. The way to look at it, is when you get your battery replacement, that effectively makes it a new car again. The battery is the single most expensive component on the car, and there is less wear on all the other components (brakes, etc) as compared to an ICE car.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I just wanted to mention that not all Bolts have a DC charging port. So if that is important to you, make sure the Bolt has one.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NoJacketRequired

NoJacketRequired New Member

Dumb question here... What is GM doing with the Bolts they are buying back from customers under the terms of the recall?

I'm assuming they are exchanging the batteries with new ones, but then what? How (and where) are they selling these re-worked vehicles?

(The Bolt is one of the few EVs that makes economic sense for me.)

9. Once the batteries are replaced in the repurchased Bolts they are just sent out to auction or given to Dealerships.

10. NoJacketRequired

NoJacketRequired New Member

Thanks for this information. I was hoping GM might have had a marketing promotion on these refurbished vehicles.

11. Johnny Mars

Johnny Mars Member

I would buy a refurbished Bolt, but I'm going to wait until the '23's are released with their $6k markdown to see what that does to prices of used Bolts.

12. To remove this ad click here.