Will GFCI cause issues with a plug in EVSE?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Danhen, Aug 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I want to purchase and install a "plug-in" EVSE using a 14-50 receptacle, but IIRC correctly, electrical codes here in the U.S. now require all garage receptacles to be GFCI.

Chargepoint's website says "if local codes require a GFCI breaker for plug-in installation, ChargePoint recommends a hardwire installation. We do not recommend using a GFCI breaker as the Home Flex already has integrated charging circuit interrupting device (CCID) protection. Using a GFCI breaker in the panel, especially with a plug-in installation, can cause nuisance breaker tripping in certain circumstances and interrupt charging."

Would I be correct in assuming licensed electricians are not going to be willing to install a non GFCI 14-50 receptacle in my garage?

Anyone here have experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

Parker Lewis likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I used a GFCI breaker and it has had some issues. I think driving rain can get in the outlet box.
    If you are buying a shorter range EV with a longish commute, study the code alternatives, you may wake up to a surprise. For me it is not really an issue

Danhen likes this.
  4. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

I had an electrician install a 14-50 receptacle in my garage with non-gfci breakers in the panel in the in August, 2020. The National electrical code was updated to require GFCI breakers in January, 2019m but I don't think my town had updated their requirement at the time of my install since the town inspector didn't say anything about it. I just looked a the breakers and they are not GFCI. It might be worth checking your local code to see if it's updated yet.

Also, I know that for regular 120 volt GFCI receptacles you can buy ones made for hospitals that don't trip as readily as cheap ones. You may be able to find something similar for 220/240 volt breakers.

I wonder why hardwiring helps; doesn't seem like it would if the breaker is in the panel. It would be interesting to know what the "...certain circumstances..." are that Chargepoint mentions.

Hope this helps.

Danhen likes this.
  5. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

If something is hardwired it is up to the device manufacturer to ensure safety. When you can unplug it barefoot in the pouring rain, the code wants a say