Why is my mini range so low?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Gi Lee, Sep 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gi Lee

Gi Lee New Member

my mini range is at 88miles max at 100% charged.
    its only 2 weeks old car and have 500 miles on it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

The "Range" is called the "Guess O Meter" by many. It doesn't really tell the story very well and is generally VERY conservative. Since you also only have 500 miles, it doesn't have much driving history to go by, either.

Over these 500 miles, what is your actual average efficiency in miles per kwh? My car has a average right at 4.0 mi/kwh since I reset it in the spring when I put the summer tires back on. Before that, it was doing 3.6 mi/kwh over the winter with the all season tires. Just last night I did an 84 mile round trip and was seeing over 5 for the drive up in Green+ on a nice mild evening. Overall I went from 100% to 37% for those miles (about 4.7 mi/kwh).

Rob

polyphonic likes this.
  4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Don’t worry your car improve as you driving longer distances as my GOM 100% charged showing 88 miles or 114 miles usually for first 15-20 miles nothing changed I’m driving like not using any electricity from battery you must drive very short distances or you worry a GOM shows 88 miles that GOM is stupid setting and I drive only on sport setting bc I like speedy car and better response I use also one pedal driving if you new to EV as my pattern shows to me my driving 80 miles both ways I’m coming home with 50 miles at least on stupid GOM meter and I’m driver as on my route on Belt Parkway NY Teslas owners doing 55 miles/hour try to milk a milage of their cars as I know my distance to get home without charging I beat a crab of electric go cart which is a blast to drive challenging those BIG SUVs they think they faster than small Mini Cooper SE . Six years experience with speedy BMW I 3 .

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe the GOM goes by last drive only, plus I'm convinced it factors in current weather somewhat. If one only drives very short trips the GOM tends to show a much lower range.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Don’t look at GOM just drive a car that car you drive slow or fast give you 100 miles minimum on green sport setting high speed or crawling in traffic why you new owners read about on internet to educate yourself that car is doing 130 miles on average those GOM is crub as I’m only 4000 miles I never have a problem to drive 120-130 miles and only depends on my garage L2 charging.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

GOM meter got nothing to do with your range as I pic up a car in January in cold condition in CT 20F and 65 miles drive to My house in Staten Island I arrive with 50 miles on my crappy GOM meter

9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

As an example, daily I drive 62 miles round trip. I drive most of the way at 75 to 85 MPH, in temperatures that range from about 30F to 100F, with the AC or heat set at 69 degrees. I don't baby either the throttle or the AC and arrive home with 40 to 50% on the GOM.

My GOM, each morning, shows about 100 miles. It should show, based on my driving, 105 to 120. And, if I have a weekend day where I drive around at less than Texas freeway warp speeds, Jessie shows on pace for 135 to 145 miles, although my GOM never corrects upwards, it just counts down more slowly than reality.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Next time you have your battery at 100%, reset your trip meter to zero miles. You can do that by pressing the somewhat hidden button on the top left edge of your instrument cluster. Pressing it once will change the lower right display on the cluster to show the trip meter, and pressing a second time will set it to zero.

Then drive your Mini for a few days. At that point, note your remaining battery %. NOT the yellow gauge on the right - the actual battery percentage from the trip info on the lower right. If it's not showing on the lower right of the instrument cluster, press the top button on the left hand stalk until you see it.

Report back here with start-batt, end-batt, and percentage remaining, and we can calculate your actual range using those values, if you don't already know how to do it. The GOM is almost worthless and should not be used.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

The GOM does not learn from your driving habits, at best it may consider temperature.
    We get over 150 miles of charge every single time and it never shows more than about 114.
    It does not learn.

Now, ours is a car delivered November 2021.
    Possibly they may have done a software update to take into account your last drive. Possibly. Maybe. Even if so it’s hardly relevant.

Ignore it, use percentage remaining and the trip meter to do the math in your head. The GOM is useless.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Just putting it out there, but I can’t be the only one here who regularly resets their trip meter inadvertently. I find it easier to use the edge button to bring it up (rather than scrolling through the displays with the stalk button), but seem to always hit it again for whatever reason. Why couldn’t it use a long press, like almost every other car on the planet??

Ericwc, Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. Jawad Malik

Jawad Malik Member

^ Also my observation and experience ^

polyphonic and MichaelC like this.
  15. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Same. In fact, I have seen the GOM drastically reduce the estimated range after engaging the on-board navigation, throwing away its prior estimate "learned" from a full day's driving. The GOM changed instantly from "you can make it home with range to spare" to "you cannot reach home without stopping for a charge". (I easily made it home with range to spare, with the GOM eventually agreeing as I got closer to home.)

16. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

We can complain about the GOM inaccuracies all we want, and we most certainly will. However, if the GOM was known for overestimating range, we would be complaining even more. A lot more.

I happen to think that if we can send a Tesla into outer space, we should be able to make a more accurate algorithm for estimating EV range. It should have variables including weather, recent driving, repetitive trips, driving style, and integration with the navigation, all weighted accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Ericwc, Texas22Step, F14Scott and 2 others like this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

And yet nobody's been able to perfect the progress bar on computers, which is kind of the same thing. And computers have been showing those for over thirty years.

18. SameGuy

YUL
    It used to be the cool kids who called that “fuzzy logic,” — aka “many-valued logic” — but now it’s cooler to call it “AI.” Except that it is not really AI at all, just simple non-Boolean logic.

F14Scott and Rexsio like this.
  19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Look for 2022 Mini Cooper SE mirror cup that AI is stupid nothing shows on internet as old dud I’m not so advanced like you younger folks

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I always reset to 0 my driving distance once I charge to 100% and look what is milage left never run out of juice ever on I 3 or SE and never use a charging on my trips just my L2 in garage bc I don’t travel for work and every trip I know what milage I have to cover with my 100-140 miles range .Doing 5/miles on highway makes now difference if I do 65 I always get 100-140 miles.

21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I find out bc I’m spirited driver my SPORT mode is a best setting as driving only on GREEN for few months I did not notice a any difference of milage/range but a car is alive in SPORT mode

GvilleGuy likes this.
  22. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

A Better Route Planner is the closest we'll get for this generation of SE (especially if you pair it with a Bluetooth OBDII adapter). Granted, ABRP's estimation relies on knowing which roads you will drive on--which a GOM cannot predict. (Although it's baffling how my SE's GOM just gives up and resets to worst-case-scenario when activating the nav.)

Curiously, the MINI app also estimates your arrival state of charge if you use it to preview a route--and its estimates align pretty well with ABRP's estimates. So, at least we know BMW/MINI has the technology to provide accurate estimates.

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    I got the OBD extension cable with the built-in switch precisely for ABRP so I can leave it plugged in between longer drives. All my future coding, however, will be done via ENET. And I told my wife when I ordered the car that I wouldn’t be messing around and modifying and “improving” this one, yeah right! ;)

MichaelC likes this.