Why does nobody make a portable power station with J1772 plug??

Discussion in 'General' started by FloridaSun, Oct 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be a great business opportunity?? Gas cars have gas cans to make it to the closest gas station... Why doesn't anyone make a portable power station with J1772 plug?? They do make lithium power station for over 1000 wh, so why not make a portable 1 kwh power station with J1772 plug?? Technologically, that should be easily doable. Would it be too expensive to make? Adding 1 kw can get you at least 3 - 4 miles if driving slowly... which may be enough to make it to the closest charging station..
    Maybe the product exists but based on my google searches, I can't find one..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

option 1 looks too big to carry with you and option 2 is gas powered.. I was thinking about a station that is small enough to fit in a frunk or trunk without taking about much more space than a 5 gallon gas can.. Something that you can use when you are just 3 - 4 miles from the charging station.. You should be able to fit 1kwh of capacity into the size of a 5 gallon gas can at the current technology..

4. FloridaSun

I was thinking more of something that you can carry with you that gives you 3 - 4 miles extra range to make it to a charger..
    Theoretically, you could have a regular gas powered generator with a 15-30 outlet and plug in a level 2 charger...

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. I think the problems would be weight ,cost and efficiency. If your using a J1772 it has to put out ac power. This could be done with a battery and an inverter and a trickle charger. If Your using a lithium battery a 1 kw hr battery runs around $700, a pure sine wave ul listed inverter is around $800. So right off were talking over $1500. Also this would take about an hour to add the 3-5 miles of range. The battery and inverter would probably be over 50 lbs. As an example a 1500 watt Goal Zero battery generator cost $1900 and doesn't include a EVSE. Engineering wise its not as simple as it sounds.

If you decided to go with a CCS and go DC to DC eliminating the inverter the problem be comes safety as your haling around a +400 volt battery sitting loose in your trunk. Now that could be shocking;).

Really if you think your going to be low on electrons you can just slow down and you can probably get that extra mileage and still arrive in less time than it takes to charge with a battery.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    turtleturtle and electriceddy like this.
  7. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I illustrate a klunky but workable "rescue scenario" in my "rundown" page ...

_H*

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I think we may eventually see something as new battery chemistry comes available, but with Li-Ion, size and weight just would be prohibitive, even at 1 kWh.

9. FloridaSun

You can get a 1kw power station (110 - 220 Volt) with the following weight and size...

12 - 16kg
    size
    41*19.9*20.3cm
    That's smaller than a 5 gallon gas can..

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/lithium-ion-battery-1KWH-UPS-Power_62017246990.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.2.282a51e7zQWGzt&fullFirstScreen=true

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

So in theory, couldn't you just plug your portable EVSE into that? Why get one with a J1772 connector already on it and be limited to only using it for charging?

gooki likes this.
  12. FloridaSun

theoretically but unfortunately, they are not designed to handle 12 amp+ draw..
    Based on what I read, it would work with a level 1 EVSE's at the lowest setting.. That would be worse than snail pace charging.. I'd say a charging speed of 3.3kwh or more would be acceptable..

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ok, not exactly cheap, but it appears that this could handle up to a 15 Amp draw:
    https://ecoflow.com/products/ecoflow-delta-power-station?gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTlQI-yGaGh5rtcTWMUPB1dF0mBOgmtLphN-wlzk9raHGCl4a0e--xxoCXFMQAvD_BwE

Nice thing is it can be fully recharged by solar in about 4 hours apparently. Imagine if the roof of the Kona or other EVs had similar solar panels, considering mine is outside all day while at work, it could probably add about 1 kWh per hour with that many panels, meaning 8kWh during my standard work day or about 30 miles, which is almost my fully daily commute and then any other time it is outside. Come on, we don't need glass roofs, we need solar roofs.

14. FloridaSun

Nice unit but too pricey.. I could see myself spending $500 to $700 on one but not twice as much.. At level 1 speeds, that would take about 45 minutes to 50 minutes to add 1kw

15. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Yeah, but I can see prices dropping on them.

16. FloridaSun

For sure.. Battery prices are dropping like a rock.. I remember back around 2010/2011, Li/Ion batteries were $1000 per kwh..
    Now, they are sub $150/kwh I believe... and may soon be under $100 per kwh.. Energy density is also increasing.. I believe that based on the latest technology, you could make a 3 kw battery pack that takes less space than a 5 gallon gas can.. 3kw in a car like the Kona, Leaf or Model 3 could get you 15 miles range or more if driving slowly with the AC off.

17. Rishabh Mehandru

Rishabh Mehandru New Member

May be...but 3 to 4 miles will probably not bring ability to travel like gas vehicles...I feel that we need more ultra fast dc charging everywhere...if the availability was there and time was fast...more ev will be sold... I feel only way out of this more widespread adoption and more charging network and more car choices....

let’s say when first ICE vehicles cane out, they must have faced similar problem...but unlike gas....electricity is available almost everywhere in US...and if not solar and wind can bring it to those places...

18. People don't carry gas cans in their cars in case they run out of fuel; I think carrying an extra battery wouldn't be very practical either (with respect to weight or space)........I'd be just as happy to pay some home or business owner $5 to plug into their 110V outlet for an hour and get that 4-5 mile range. Yes, it would cost me an hour in time, but the infrequency of those occurrences make it a much better option, in my opinion.
    I'm waiting for CAA to get some of those portable L2 chargers so they can get me a better charge if I call them.

gooki and bwilson4web like this.
  19. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

If companies like Sparkcharge would wise up and start gearing product toward the [educated] consumer
    market instead of being elitist, we'd have semi-portable rapid charger boxes that could "rescue" a depleted EV.

_H*

20. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

$500 - $700 is doable for 1kwh, but 4 miles isn't very far.

What I'd like to see is a modular system. Say double the battery size to 2kwh, and then make it serve many duties. e.g. power a: ride on lawn mower, electric outboard motor, moped, ebike, camping fridge/lights, EV emergency charge, household emergency backup.

That way you can charge more because it provides a whole lot more utility.

Or maybe don't reinvent the wheel and use Gogoros battery format (1.5kwh), the build an inverter module it can plug into.