Why Cannot the SE Be Towed?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Aug 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I see in the manual that the SE cannot be towed, even if using a dolly on the forward wheels. With the aft wheels freewheeling on a front wheel drive car, I don't understand this prohibition.

With it's small size and capacity to be "refueled" at the campground, I would think the Mini would be desirable as a dinghy, if not for this limitation.

Anyone know why this is?

Screenshot_20200803-092453_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My speculation is it has something to do with the regenerative braking.

4. F14Scott

I would agree, if the issue were towing all four wheels. But, as I understand the vehicle, the aft wheels simply freewheel (unless brakes are applied).

I did some google-fu and found that towing MINI Cooper S models against recommendation is pretty common, either a manual in neutral or an automatic on a dolly. Both would void a new car's warranty, but neither spun the odometer nor caused any issues in thousands of miles under tow.

https://www.technomadia.com/2016/02/flat-towing-a-mini-cooper-behind-our-motorhome/#:~:text=It's%20ultra%20important%20to%20note,will%20void%20the%20transmission%20warranty.&text=However%20the%20manual%20transmission%20version,other%20than%20a%20base%20plate.

So, looks like it is possible and harmless,, but forbidden by MINI anyway. I'm guessing typical corporate CYA.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm guessing this is just another leftover from the MINI Cooper S manual that wasn't edited properly for the SE manual. The original intent of this warning was probably to protect the tailpipes. They're "property," right?

Wait, I forget, did MINI add fake tailpipes to go with the fake hood scoop on their electric car? Just kidding.

6. Puppethead

The manual for my 2015 Hardtop says
    My 2015 Hardtop manual says it's okay to tow with the front wheels on a liftbar (middle example), "front wheels should not touch the ground" because of the Steptronic transmission. It's an F56 which is the same as the SE body.

This leads me to think the regenerative braking/transmission is tied to all four wheels in the SE, even though it's front wheel drive.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I guarantee the rear wheels have no part in regen braking. The traction motor turns into a generator when the car slows down and the traction motor is connected only to the front wheels. The rear wheels are there to keep the rear end off the road, add a couple of brake discs to stop faster, and provide some extra rubber for cornering. Otherwise, they're just along for the ride.

SmartElectric, MichaelC and F14Scott like this.
  9. F14Scott

10. F14Scott

The only possible way they could have anything to do with anything would be their ABS/traction control sensors somehow inputting data to the charging algorithm. But, with the car off and the front wheels raised (i.e. no magnets are getting spun), there would be nothing to report and nowhere to report it. I'm with @insightman and others; there is no logical reason to ban nose-up towing. And, for that matter, there is no way MINI would know you did it, save uneven tire and bearing wear.

MichaelC likes this.
  11. insightman

MINI: "Look, @F14Scott's rear tires are as worn as his front tires! Either he has a sore right foot or there's something suspicious going on here! Check the tilt-sensor data in the ECU immediately!"

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GDOG

GDOG Member

It was the same for my Audi wagon because of the Quattro system. I had to have it towed a few times in its life and always requested that ONLY a flatbed be sent. I wouldn't want to take any chances. I'm pretty sure damage would occur, and would definitely void any warranty.

14. Puppethead

I just talked to service about this, and it's not SE-specific. MINI limits all models to flatbed towing only. It seems to be more of a company policy to limit tow driver damage than anything else.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    F14Scott, insightman and GDOG like this.
  15. F14Scott

I really dislike when companies arbitrarily prohibit certain, normal uses of their products because careless misuse might cause damage.

16. Puppethead

This may be the closest to definitive as possible:

From a MINI field technical manager:
    He said he could not think of a reason why the mini cannot be towed by the front wheels.
    The i3 had a different system with its parking brake.
    I think what happened is they copy/pasted i3 info to the mini.

Although I was told by my service that the ICE versions have the same towing restriction, but I have not seen a 2020/2021 driver manual for the ICE version to verify.