Who else thinks the Bolt EUV Brake Lights are a Bad Design?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by TonyInGA, Sep 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

As some of you probably know, in another Forum, at least one member there got rear-ended. And, another one, got a citation for the Brake Lights being too low.

Federal law requires the lights to be at least 15" off the ground; the Bolt EUV Brake Lights are about 25" off the ground.

Now, luckily for the guy who got a citation, and other than time (Money ???) lost, he won in court.

I came close to buying a 2022 Bolt EUV. But, after seeing how small the Brake Lights were, and as a former Driving Instructor in Arizona, I decided to cancel the deal, as I considered it a serious safety hazard (drivers are usually looking forward, and/or a bit up, so your focus is not on the low end of any vehicles; especially, if you are closer to it).

So, does anyone else agree that it's a bad design?

Crazy_wheel likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Never been even close to being rear-ended, ever, in any car. Its a lot to do with driving skills. I guess if my brake lights were huge and a fog horn came on every time I braked, then I could slam on the brakes real hard anytime I want and nobody will rear end me? Of course, everyone that follows me I know keeps a safe distance so that if I do an emergency brake they have plenty of time to stop? Of course....

4. Colorado Bolt

Colorado Bolt New Member

The one thing I wish GM did was have the brake light illuminated during regen braking. Especially when really decelerating. My leaf did this in the “B” mode. I also am constantly monitoring who is behind me and how close because some morons need notification you are stopping as they don’t know how to maintain their distance.

5. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

I totally agree it depends a lot on the driver behind you.

But, sadly, tail-gating (especially a larger truck/SUV, may not see the low brake lights), and inattentive drivers are a HUGE problem.

I was a driving instructor for 13 years in Arizona (focusing on Speed (and Vehicle) Control, Following Distance, Lane Changing (use that Indicator), NOT rolling through a STOP sign and Proper Backing - before the backup up camera became almost standard equipment). And, even my some of best post-course complete students (especially the teenagers, or foreigners who drive in other countries), lapsed into bad habits, and either got a speeding ticket or 2. And, at least 2 that I know of, were involved in minor fender-benders, which was their fault for following too closely).

If you are referring to using the ReGen Braking Paddle on the behind the Steering Wheel, I'm 98% certain (gotta leave some room for doubt ;)) it does illuminate the Brake Lights. BUT, when stopped (and, maybe at very low speeds), it won't.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

There's also some international standard that brake lights must come on above some particular
    deceleration rate, but in most cars [esp. my Kona] it's not nearly sensitive enough so I do use the
    service-brake pedal exclusively when "some moron" is behind me so they can tell what's going on.

We all need a Yuppie Button!

My own rear-ending earlier this year happened at a complete standstill, was buffered by another
    car in between, and the YB would not have made any difference in that case. But I recognize
    the importance of carving out more space on the road to the front and rear, and actively
    work to implement it. And of signaling my state and intent as clearly as possible.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Colorado Bolt

Colorado Bolt New Member

Tony,
    I had the “pleasure “ of checking the brake lights while pulling the regen paddle today. This with a large shiny peterbilt grill following me at about 50 mph. At least on my 2018 it did not illuminate the lights and I ended up having to step on the brake pedal to caution this beast I was slowing down as he got waaay to close for comfort. I even had my wife following me one day and told me it was discerning how quickly the car slowed with no indication. She’s a bit of a tailgater as well and recently admitted she never understood the importance of signaling until she saw me doing it religiously. Even when pulling into a parking spot at the grocery store. She drives the Bolt so was familiar with the regen feature even. I definitely advise at least tapping the brake to caution people behind you if you are being closely followed. I was trained to tap three times on my motorcycle as those also decelerate quickly when downshifting. Of coarse a motorcycle only has one small light as opposed to the three on your car.

Just an FYI on the regen braking. As far as I can tell no brake lights illuminate in regen mode.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must live in a state without cellphones. :)

Colorado Bolt likes this.
  10. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Getting a bit off topic, but :eek: .

However, on the chevybolt.org Forum, the brakelights and regen paddle were discussed. And, they posted the latest, https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/brake-lights.13186/ . But, I believe that there are other posts too confirming this. So, :confused:

11. Colorado Bolt

Colorado Bolt New Member

thank you for your reply I have now seen videos where the lights come on but cannot confirm they do in my car. I could have a burned out light. I’ll check by having someone drive behind me and see. Thank you for your video link!

TonyInGA likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LMacnit

LMacnit New Member

My 2020 lights up the big LED taillights when I hit regen in D or when I let off the accelerator, err I mean rheostat or hit regen in L.

14. LMacnit

LMacnit New Member

You are correct sir, at least in my 2020 Bolt. The brake lights also come on if you are on L and let odd the accelerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

and
    Thank you. But, I'm specifically referring to the NEW 2022 Bolt EUV.

16. Barter1

Barter1 New Member

- in D, regen/brake lever behind steering wheel is held to stop, brake lights come on, but when fully stopped, there are no brake lights
    - in L, slowing down, brake lights come on, but when fully stopped, there are no brake lights
    - only way to have brake lights on when fully stopped is to use the brake pedal

17. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Please reread the Title.

I mention nothing about the brake lights function. I'm referring to the design of them being too low.

18. Barter1

Barter1 New Member

I believe they are very visible and the center light is bright.

19. ke4d

ke4d New Member

Doesnt the top light illuminate when braking?

greyshep likes this.