*Which* Primacy 4 tires

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by gonfunko, Feb 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm looking at getting new tires, and read that newer Konas come with Michelin Primacy 4 tires, which are apparently much better than the Nexens and give a 8-10% range boost. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, these don't exist in the US. What I have been able to find are the:

Michelin Primacy MXV4
    Michelin Primacy MXM4
    Michelin Primacy 4 ST (I think these may be it, but they don't appear to exist in the 215 size)
    Michelin Primacy 3
    Michelin Primacy Tour A/S
    Michelin Primacy A/S

So which one is it? If anyone has a newer Kona in the US with OEM Michelin tires, could you post a picture of them?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rpark

rpark Member

4. I purchased a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 to replace the stock Nexen tires this spring here in Halifax NS Canada for my 2022 Kona Electric
    [​IMG]

5. rpark

rpark Member

Good luck with them and keep us updated...

6. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

The Primacy 4 sold in AU / NZ has this tread pattern...

Screenshot_20220303-123402_Firefox.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rpark

rpark Member

According to Tirerack, Primacy 3 are indeed "Green X" but would only be good for about 2-3 months here in Saskatchewan

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+3
    "The Primacy 3 is Michelin's Grand Touring Summer tire developed for luxury coupe and sedan drivers looking for warm-weather tires that combine good ride and low noise with better braking, steering control and handling on wet roads. Designed to enhance vehicle fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 gas emissions, Primacy 3 tires meet Michelin's Green X standard* for low rolling resistance. While Primacy 3 tires are designed to offer reliable traction in dry and wet conditions in warm ambient temperatures, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

9. Agreed; after I purchased my Kona last September I bought a full set of winter tires (Michelin X-ice Snow) which replaced the Nexens on the car; I also got a new set of EV wheels to mount the MXV4's these: Fast Wheels - EV1 - got them without the inserts. (car is phantom black so should look good...) All in all a bit of extra expense but I've always preferred to have my winters mounted on a separate set of wheels;

[​IMG]

electriceddy and rpark like this.
  10. rpark

rpark Member

I really like your idea. I may do something like it this fall. My last car I had the steel wheels on my last car. They really look ugly.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. rpark

rpark Member

I looked at a new 2022 Kia Nero yesterday and it has Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires from factory.

gonfunko and Jim Brown like this.
  13. efriscia

efriscia New Member

Im trying to decide among the MXV4, Energy Saver A/S or Primacy Tour A/S to replace the Nexen in my new Kona; which would be the better set regarding range / noise ?

14. Een2102

Een2102 New Member

I now have both a 2019 Kona electric and a 2019 Niro EV. After driving both vehicles considerably with the same driving style, I noted that the Kona delivered a solid 15%-20% more range. After checking the specs, I noticed that the Niro is only 100-150kgs heavier. Motor has the same specs. Batteries, although from different suppliers, are supposedly the same size. Most of the driving has been city and suburban, not highway, so aerodynamics are not to blame. However, I noticed that the Kona came stock with Nexens, while the Niro with MXV4 Michellins. The Niro seems to have much lower road noise and more grip (even the specs have it with a faster 0-60 mph time) and better braking. I don't get snow, just heavy rain so cannot report on that. I feel tempted to swap out the tires and see what happens. I hope this information helps owners on their priorities to choose the right tire replacement.

15. I will gladly exchange a little range for a more comfortable, quieter ride.

16. Lakin Zoe

Lakin Zoe New Member

You can consider choosing Primacy MXM4, or MXV4. The MXV4 came out strong in wet and dry conditions with a higher level of comfort, road silence, and longevity. While the MXM4 is cheaper, it can run well on wet and dry surfaces and is certainly above average.

17. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I purchased a set Of Nokian tires here in Canada I read some very good reports about them great in all conditions and probably cheaper then Michelins... Just my 2 cents

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Lakin Zoe

Lakin Zoe New Member

Michelin's Primacy MXM4 vs. MXV4 comparison will show that relying on the MXV4 year-round is more reasonable because it has an edge in dry performance, snow, and comfort.