When someone with a ICE car parks in the charging spot

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by EVRIGREEN, Oct 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This was probably dumb of me, but I knew I would be traveling and the airport parking lot has four charging stations for a free charge. I let my car get down to 25 miles (getting home will be dicey unless I charge somewhere first) knowing I'd have a full charge when I returned. I've parked there numerous times and there have always been two or more spots available. But this time, two idiots with ICE cars parked in the charging spots that are clearly marked. There was plenty of other parking in the garage. After swearing like a sailor, I wrote a special note for each car owner and left it on the windshield under their windshield wiper.
    Question: Has this ever happened to you when you really, really needed a charge? And if so, what did you do? Write a funny note? Angry note? Ignored it? I chose angry because I was fuming!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Maybe call the airport authority and ask them to tow the car(s).

4. In Florida, it is against the law.
    Florida Statutes EV Parking.jpg

5. I did call the garage to ask what their policy is. Basically, they don’t have one. The cars wouldn’t even have been ticketed, never mind towed away. What a joke. Still steaming four days later... Hope my letter at least got the message across.

6. A kind note would be the way to go and would probably achieve better results.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

IF they are ticketed, they get something like a $30 fine here in Florida.. However, many times, the police won't ticket offenders :-(

9. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Long charge cable, park right behind them!

10. Francois

Francois Active Member

The ticket in Quebec comes close to $200 including the service fees. Even EV are supposed to be fined if they occupy the space and are not actively charging their car. But the police generally doesn't bother to actually enforce the latter. They just check to see if a cable is connected to the car.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Then I guess this guy is safe:
    https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13180&start=60#p309235
    :rolleyes:

Francois likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BC-Doc, TheLight75 and Francois like this.
  14. Francois

Francois Active Member

I agree. It made me laugh. :)

15. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Ran into this last week on my LA to Mesa drive. An EVGO charger in Blythe, CA had a GasHo parked in one of the spots, but the side I needed was available. None the less I was pissed about it. Lots of other spots for them to park in, but this was closer to the door. There aren’t many chargers between Indio, CA and Mesa, AZ (maybe 8 in Blythe, CA) and 8 in Buckeye, AZ. We need charger we can get.
    I have to admit I never parked in an EV spot with my Hybrid when I was driving it.