What's your mileage (mi/kWh)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ssmini, Dec 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. ssmini

ssmini New Member

I'm interested in hearing what mileage other owners are getting.

I have owned my SE for a month. Driven it 1,000 miles. 440 of those miles was a long trip that I had to take unexpectedly on the second day of ownership.

My trip was from northern Virginia to New Jersey and back. Drove absolutely the speed limit all the way (mix of 55 and 65 mph) and fairly gently without cruise. At the end of the trip the car was saying 3.9 mi/kWh. That was also the only time I drove the car from 100% charge to 0% charge. Did not expect to arrive at my planned charging stop with 0% battery. The car drove less than what I expected and there were no other charging stations along that route. Talk about having range anxiety on second day of ownership. I got about 103 miles out of that full charge.

After the long trip I reset the trip meter and have driven only locally around town. The best I can manage as reported by the car is 3.6 mi/kWh.

I am doing about 9~10 miles for every 10% of charge which is worse than the 3.6 mi/kWh the car is telling me. 99% of my driving is in MID mode. 90% of my driving is slower than 50 mph. I have adapted to one-pedal driving well and I can probably count on one finger the number of times I had to press the brake pedal to slow me down while moving since owning the car. I am not an aggressive driver. The days of peeling away at stop signs and traffic lights are past me.

As a test I have driven in all 4 modes for 10 miles each along pretty much the same route. regardless of the mode, I see 3.5 or 3.6 mi/kWh.

Most of the time I do not have AC on. The weather here except for the last couple of days has not been that cold. Between 40F and 60F most of the time. The car is parked in the driveway and not in a heated garage.

Ever since I have started keeping track, I am noticing about 1 to 2% drop in charge overnight when I dont have the car plugged in.

Comparing mine to my cousin's SE, his Mini is saying 5.0 mi/kWh. He's had it since May 2022 and has never reset the trip computer. His is 2,000 miles of all in-town driving near Boston, MA. Driving style similar to mine. Only difference is that his Mini is pretty much base rolling on 16in tires.

So apologies for the long post. Below is my car's stats. Would appreciate if others can post theirs. Thanks.
    Code:
     MemberID | mi/kWh | Avg mph | Tracked miles | Manufactured | Trim       | Tire size | Tire brand           | Car mods | Location
     ssmini   | 3.6    | 36      | 1,000         | 10/2022      | Iconic 2.0 | 205/45R17 | Pirelli Cinturato P7 | none     | VA, USA

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

What tyres do you have? Have you checked the pressure? Mine were low from the showroom.

Saying that, I am currently getting similar mileage in similar temps, on Nokian Wr-G4 tyres. I was doing much better in the summer on stock hankooks. On some 60s days just after putting the winter Nokians on, mileage was very close to hankook mileage.
    I have hit 4.0 a few times on 50-something days with Nokians. My driving is mostly interstate 65-70.

Precondition eats several % on chilly days

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

minigom18.jpg

1.8 mi/kWh - worse than Ford F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T.

JonR likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Smaller wheels almost always offer an efficiency/range advantage.

6. pictsidhe

I also run on 16s

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

Try harder. I've been down to 0.9

MichaelC likes this.
  9. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

It depends so much on tires and weather. In the summer I see 5 often and even 6 a couple times in the mountains. With below freezing weather and snow tires it’ high 3’s now.

10. teslarati97

Wow! 0.9mi/kWh on the MINI is the world record for 26.01mi max range!

11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

There are a number of factors that can increase your consumption as you seem to know, but for completeness:

1. Temperature
    The car uses more energy when it's cold. You mention not using AC etc, but know that going from standard room temperature to freezing temperature drops range by 20%.

2. Aerodynamics
    If you have a roof rack, a rear cycle carrier etc or drive with the windows open etc you lose range.

3. Hard acceleration and heavy regen
    While the car does recover some energy when slowing down you still lose some through heat losses, the same goes for acceleration. Slowly accelerating and slowly decelerating waste less energy to heat.

4. Not maintaining speed well
    Most people do not drive as smoothly as they think they do, small movements of your foot, even over bumps, wastes power. Sport mode is the worst for this, mid is better, green is eve better. That lag they introduce helps smooth out the delivery. Another key point is not to be too abrupt when backing off the "gas", try to not let the power needle drop down past the "ready" indicator as as soon as it does regen kicks in, whereas with the needle on "ready" the car is coasting. Try switching the info display in the bottom right (press the tip of the stalk) to show current power usage, I use that to help me lower my usage

5. Under inflated tyres.
    This makes a big difference also, ensure they are at the door sticker pressure. Also, not standard wheels and tyres can increase consumption, particularly the tyres.

6. Not pre-conditioning the cabin while plugged in.
    The car wastes a lot of power heating (or cooling) the cabin from the battery, try to do so while it's still plugged into the wall using the app.

7. Multiple short trips vs one long trip
    This is again related to the cabin heating/cooling. If you make lots of short trips, like from home to work, then from work to a restaurant for lunch, then back to work, then from work to a grocery store, then from the grocery store to home; you'll use far more than if you just drove that route nonstop.

8. Wet roads
    The drag from the water increases consumption.

Finally, I made a few videos where I test the range on a mixed route and a full on freeway route, in both "perfect" weather (no heat or Ac needed) and freezing temperatures on the same route with the heater running. Take a look at those and see if the driving matches yours to give you an idea of what you should be getting:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIEJmlo9osgbDDvNgoKmhdN-qkae8YacC

Now with that said, I am concerned by your loss of battery charge overnight if not plugged in. Ours does not drop at all, even over a week, no matter if the garage is hot or cold. So that doesn't sound right to me, you may need to get it checked...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

In the summer on 16” OEM summer tires I averaged 4.54 mi/kwh. Based on reported battery percentage and miles driven. Low per recharge of 3.9 and high of 5.1. Mix of city and highway. Driving only on interstate I usually see 4.1.

Since early November when I switched to all-seasons I have averaged 3.6 mi/kwh and have seen 3.2 to 3.9. As far as I can tell the tires/wheels have a bigger impact then the temperature.

14. Zim

Zim Member

Been getting 5.0 to 5.7 mi/kWh with temperatures between 70F and 80F. On OE summer Hankook 16 inch wheels / tires.

That falls to 3.5 -3.7 mi/kWh in the winter, with swapped all seasons (16 inch). Relatively mild winter temperatures between 30F to 45F currently. Damp or wet roads. Cabin heat set to 65F to 70F with heated wheel and seats on.

Sport mode ON with the above. I haven't noticed a significant change in MID or GREEN mode, with the exception of a significant reduction in seat heat (because reasons?)

My driving habits are usually backs roads and stop and go. Speeds rarely exceed 50 MPH. I haven't noticed much of a hit at higher speeds (below 70 MPH), sweet spot probably between 55 and 65 MPH with minimal efficiency hits.

It's all about the wheels and tires unfortunately, the elephant variable in the room.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My experience runs counter to this in the SE. There's no reason an EV is less efficient in cold weather, since there's no fluids moving around and almost no moving parts. Extreme cold causes a decrease in ePower (max acceleration), but not range.

My experiment at -3 ºF last winter with all heat disabled showed the range isn't affected much, I was able to achieve 4.84 mi/kWh.

insightman likes this.
  16. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

If you don’t use the heater then you are correct.
    But most people do, therefore cold temperatures affect range.
    Note that some cars like Teslas heat the battery to protect it, which also affects range.

17. Minicris

Minicris Member

I don't know how to have the little graph like you show, but we've put on almost 10,000 miles in 4 1/2 months and average m/kwh is 3.5. Have 17" all season tires with aftermarket wheels. Overall tire weight is one pound less per tire/wheel than the 17" power spoke wheels that it came with. 95% of driving is flat roads at 65mph in mid mode.

18. pictsidhe

Tyres vary enormously is rolling resistance. Perhaps 4:1 between draggy and the lowest rolling resistance. Unfortunately, the data is not readily available in the US. As a general rule, cheap tyres are draggy. Even with a gas car, it works out cheaper to pay extra for LRR tyres.
    Europe has mandated tyre labels that class Rolling resistance, wet grip and noise. If a tyre is sold in Europe, you can look up it's label.
    Tyre and wheel weight makes a negligible difference in economy. Wheel size and design makes a small difference. More open and sharp spoked designs (like my winter wheels) are more draggy.
    Google is your friend here!

Minicris likes this.
  19. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    We've got about 1000 miles on ours as well. I drive my wife's SE once a week to work, 50 mile round trip. I use sport mode because it's the most comfortable for me. I don't drive crazy, but don't baby it either. I nail it when i feel like it. We've got the power spoke wheels with Pirelli Cinturato P7's.

With current outdoor temps in the 30's and 40's F, and interior heat at 72-76 F, i've been getting around 3.5 mi/kwh. Approximately a 50-50 split of highway 70mph and back road driving. The Ioniq 5 is getting around 2.5 mi/kwh in the same conditions.

20. Picked up my SE last Friday and still getting the feel of the car.. The weather has been cold from 17 to in the low 30s - the cold really cuts into the range. I have been averaging around 3.0 mi/kwh. I am also running some fairly aggressive all seasons. The weather here is supposed to turn nasty with lots of snow and cold. It will be interesting to see how the SE handles the snow and extreme cold.

21. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

Here is how our usage has been since we got ours a few months back. I reset the center trip at the end of every month. Dec is currently tracking at 3.9 so winter seems to be affecting ours, nothing has changed other than the temperature here in the Denver area. Every day week month is different since we don't commute to work with it. It's our daily run errands car.

Month - mi/kwh - miles - ~mph
    July - 4.5 - 666 - 26

Aug - 4.8 - 980 - 27.2

Sept - 4.7 - 878 - 25.2

Oct - 4.8 - 826 - 26

Nov - 3.9 - 401 - 23.3

22. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Actually, this isn't true. Air gets more dense as the temp decreases. PV = nRT. For the same volume and pressure, if T (temp) decreases, n (number of atoms) increases proportionately. The air friction is 1/2 pCdAv^3, where p (greek letter rho) is the air density. So if your air temp decreases by 10%, the force created by air friction increases by 10%.

Apologies for the maths. My MINI is over 2 years old and the lifetime average is 12.5kWh/100km which is 4.972mi/kWh. Call it 5 between friends. My SE is never out of sports mode, and I accelerate hard whenever I get the chance.I do however keep to the speed limit (using the limiter) and try to decelerate smoothly. I live in a place where temps rarely go below 20c during the day. Temperature plays a massive role in range/efficiency.

Qisl likes this.
  23. teslarati97

It is fully possible to get 4.84 mi/kWh at -3F assuming:
    • Battery is not cold-soaked and charged to 100% (still plugged in before departure)
    • Cabin is climatized whilst plugged in (climatization uses HV battery and is recharged by EVSE)
    • All cabin controls are completely turned off during the trip
    However if you add in the extra kWh consumed for climatization, then the efficiency is probably lower. If you want to precondition something like a Tesla, it would consume about 7.8-12kWh for the battery + cabin.