What separates a Kandi and a ‘compliance’ EV?

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Nov 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

No fast DC charging; small motor, and; small battery kWh. What separates this from a compliance EV?

Could this rebadged as a Honda or FCA end Tesla ZEV credit revenue?

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dislin

Dislin Member

What exactly is the question? It has been approved by US regulators and also approved for the US EV federal tax rebate: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

If you are referring to the California-compliant EV standards, you could check with them, and there is a change that it just possibly hasn't been fully reviewed yet. As far as sales, yes, any new brand with a strange looking compact EV will have its hands full trying to make any inroads in the US automotive market.

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I guess I don't see that happening. Personally, I would buy a used Leaf or BMW instead.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It has less than 100 hp and abysmal range. The ‘compliance’ EVs were similar. Cheap, the compliance EVs weren’t.

Bob Wilson

6. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Compliance EVs by definition are sold primarily to earn ZEV credits, and therefore are generally sold only in States that earn them those credits. Just because a vehicle is low volume (or low range, or low power) does not make it a "Compliance Car" or vehicles like the Rimac, Genovation, and Tesla Roadsters would be be in that category. Kandi has no need for ZEV credits.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

His point was that Honda, Toyota and FCA would rebadge the vehicle and get the ZEV credits.

However, they may be better off just buying the ZEV credits from Kandi or other manufactures.

Of course we don't know if the car will sell in any meaningful amount. Rebadging would certainly help in that regard. Kandi's web site is still showing the introductory price.

9. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

The Kandi car is essentially a joke. I kind of want one for the lolz, but it's way too expensive for that.

10. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with nearly 100 electric horses in a car that size.