What is the co-pilot prep kit?

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Tangible, Apr 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

I’m considering buying a Premium Mach E. My understanding is that lane keeping and adaptive cruise control are standard, but I see that it also includes something called a co-pilot prep kit. Can someone explain what that is, and if I need to buy something else to enable it?

Thanks.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. From what I read here:
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/10/30/ford-advancing-hands-free-driver-assist-technology.html
    it is software to enable hands free driving on prequalified sections of divided highways (Hands free zones).
    "Included" means not having to pay $600 at a later date (after 3rd quarter of 2021) when it becomes available and having to download it with an OTA update.:)

mho likes this.
  4. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

So, until that time, is there “old-fashioned” ACC and Lanekeeping?

5. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Yes, that comes standard in the Premium's. BTW, you do not have to subscribe to the full 360 package if you don't want to.

6. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Thanks. After experiencing “autopilot” in a Tesla S I used to own, I’m kind of soured on the idea. If I have to stay focused on the road, either with Tesla’s steering wheel sensor or Ford’s selfie camera, what’s the advantage? I found it actually increased my stress, always wondering if the car was going to do the right thing. For an experienced driver, steering is almost subconscious, and effortless.

When self-driving gets to the point where the “driver” can be allowed to read a book or watch a movie, I’ll happily sign up.

SThomas219 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.