What is the camera/sensor above the rear view mirror?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by etcadman, Nov 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. etcadman

etcadman New Member

I've attached a dashcam to my from windshield. But when I look at the windshield from the front of the car I noticed a camera or sensor pointed forward through the windshield, included in the base for the rear view mirror. Does anyone know what this is, and if it can be accessed somehow?
    20201128_151808[1].jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

I believe that is what is used for Lane Keeping Assist.

4. Dups88

Dups88 New Member

Speaking of Lane Keeping Assist, does someone know how to turn off the Steering Wheel Gremlin feature that quasi-steers for you? (it's active when the green steering wheel icon is lit on the dashboard). I like being warned if I'm drifting toward the edge of a lane, but I'd prefer to have complete control of the steering wheel myself. Thanks for any help you can offer.

5. All you have to do is stay in your lane, and signal when changing lanes. Then it won't intervene with beeps or nudge your steering wheel.

6. Yes, it is in the manual... I turned the "wheel yanker" off...

Greg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Also, in the instrument panel settings, you can switch from Assist to Warning, which is beeps instead of affecting the wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

9. Bruce Southern

Bruce Southern New Member

Yes it is a camera for seeing the lane marking, since a radar sensor (those used for objects) don't need a camera and no sensor can detect lane lines. This was the beginnings of fully autonomous vehicles.

10. Bruce Southern

Bruce Southern New Member

Personally I would advise not turning off the lane control. It only works on reaching higher speeds and you only need to be distracted once. Surly a little tug of the wheel saves damage and maybe lives. Eventually all cars will be autonomous and there will be less deaths and damage on the roads. I say, get with the 21st century. Those turning off probably rued the day of automatic transmissions - long live the gear stick eh! - NOT! BTW your insurance company would like it.

Jennifer B likes this.
  11. I disagree, the tug can be very distracting and it has happened several times in the middle of the corner where it felt like I hit something... the warning ok, the tug no way.

jeff_h likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert@SF

Robert@SF New Member

I love driving with a manual transmission despite living in hilly San Francisco. The feel of engagement on a twisty mountain road in a light weight sporty machine is delightful. It's the only thing I'll miss from ICE vehicles.