What First Responders Don’t Know About Fiery Electric Vehicles

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Mar 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

What First Responders Don’t Know About Fiery Electric Vehicles

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-25/tesla-fires-what-first-responders-don-t-know-about-fiery-evs

Timely article and is not specific to Tesla (though a Tesla crash caused the discussion). EV fires have to be dealt with differently but there is no evidence that the EVs are more prone to fires than ICEs'. The technology has to still evolve with this in mind. Please keep this in mind if you are in a situation that you need help.

Lithium ion batteries burn differently from ICEs and first responders need to respond differently.

NTSB is working on recommendations to deal with these types of fires. With the increase in EV's, this will need more attention.

DaleL likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think we've had this discussion before, but here some points I think so be repeated.
    1. Encourage your state to issue EV vehicle license plates.
    2. Encourage your state, local governments and vehicle manufactures to fund training for first responders.
    3. Encourage or perhaps legislate that the electrical disconnect locations are at least some what accessible and marked if the vehicle needs cutting to disconnect. You should see where the disconnect on my Sonata Plug-in in located. It's not a good location.

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

And if I may add, when you buy a EV, you know where the disconnect is and that you should be able to tell first responder's the basics, in case you ever need them. If they already know it, great, else by you knowing it, you are helping them help you or others.

5. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Provided you're conscious and coherent . . .

Sent from my Zenpad using Tapatalk

6. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Really? The decade old Bolt huh Bloomberg...
    "The NFPA began conducting training and creating reference manuals about a decade ago just as the Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf were about to debut. It has worked closely since then with General Motors Co. and other automakers to educate first responders about what wires to avoid, where critical components are located under the hood, and how to control battery fires."

7. To remove this ad click here.