What do you think about the frunk?

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by Texas Niro EV, Jun 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I have always hated the frunks on the Teslas. I always thought that space should be used to increase cabin space like on the Chevrolet Bolt EV. But I think the frunk on the F150 Lightning is a really, really good idea.

I like being able to just throw things in and to have really tall loads in the back of a pickup truck but I don't like the idea of having valuable cargo so vulnerable to being stolen. The F150 Lightning offers the best of both worlds with an open bed to throw things in and a large lockable frunk to safely stow valuable cargo. What's more the frunk along with the skateboard battery design completely changes the dynamic of this pickup truck.

I can remember many years ago changing the tire on a Chevrolet pickup truck with a big 454 engine and thinking how unbalanced the weight distribution was on an unloaded pickup truck. Most of the weight sits directly over the front wheels while the drive wheels are in the back making the classic 2WD pickup truck very susceptible to spin outs. Ralph Nader labeled the Chevrolet Corvair "Unsafe At Any Speed" and I have always felt that this was a good moniker for all 2WD pickup trucks.

The skateboard design eliminates the unbalanced condition of an unloaded pickup truck. And the frunk allows you to maintain the balance of a loaded truck if you distribute weight to both the back and the front of the truck. The dynamic of the F150 Lightning is so different that it doesn't feel right to call it a pickup truck, the F150 Lightning feels like something much, much more.

The frunk is already is reportedly one of the biggest reasons people are reserving the F150 Lightning. I think once the majority of ICE pickup truck enthusiast start to realize just how much different an EV pickup with a skateboard design and a frunk really is they are going to start abandoning ICE pickup trucks for EV pickup trucks in droves. So what do you think, am I off my rocker or does the frunk and the skateboard design make the F150 Lightning something much more than just a pickup truck.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Looks big enough to turn into a double (possibly triple) tap kegerator (they did say it could be used as an ice chest with it's built in water drain), put the taps thru the grille, pack the frunk with ice and head to the party. For reference, the fridge I converted to a kegerator. o_O

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tap handle/spout when removed leaves a very small nub that can be covered with the included rubber cap during driving mode, and the hoses can be coiled up and velcro strapped to the inside of the lid out of the way when using the frunk for what ever else. :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Here's a great video going over user features of the F-150 Lightning, including quite a good look at the frunk.