What’s this connector for?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by su_A_ve, Apr 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Just noticed this connector today - I guess I don’t open the hood too often as I’ve never noticed this..

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I, too, have wondered about this unprotected connector: I've asked several Honda service techs - at different dealerships - and none have been able to identify it.

4. TomL

TomL Active Member

I'm really happy I finally get to be the one that solves a Clarity mystery. That connection is for the flux capacitor. I understand that Honda intentionally omitted its description from the owner's manual to avoid potential recall orders from the EPA over some missing Clarity drivers.

sabasc and Mad_River like this.
  5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

There were 88 of them, correct? All from a small, oxymoronically-named town in California, as I recall...

6. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I had tried to add a Mr. Fusion, but never got the correct adapter from Crutchfield.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Does it show up on a parts diagram? From there we could see what it’s connected to.

9. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I will venture a guess...
    It seems to be associated with the Inverter Coolant Overflow Tank.

Perhaps it is used during service.
    for instance, maybe it allows the technician to activate the coolant pump when flushing / adding coolant to the inverter system...

The parts diagrams are nowhere near detailed enough to show this. I'm sure if is just a branch off of the main wiring harness.
    There is a chance that it shows up on a wiring diagram of some sort, or in service documentation (which we don't have ready access to).

10. TurboD16

TurboD16 New Member

Please let me know the exact colors of wires (and any tracer colors) going into it, their locations, and its location in the vehicle. I could look it up in Honda's system

sabasc and turtleturtle like this.
  11. MrFixit

Here is the location of this connector (on same bracket as Inverter Coolant Overflow Tank):

upload_2021-4-16_17-14-15.png

Here is a closer view:
    upload_2021-4-16_17-15-45.png

The connector has 4 wires (light gauge).
    The colors are a little bit subjective, but I would say that two of the wires are Gray with a Black tracer, and the other two are Gray with a Brown tracer.

Even closer:
    upload_2021-4-16_17-24-58.png

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    turtleturtle likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

A little 303 Protectant, and I can see it now. upload_2021-4-18_7-20-5.png

upload_2021-4-18_7-20-45.png

14. TurboD16

TurboD16 New Member

Still working on the pinout. Our Acura account is good but the Honda side was down. I will try to get the pinout when we have it up and running.

15. A modernized connector for calibrating the Turbo Encabulator?
    As you can see at time index 2:22 it's a triumph in miniaturization of the diagnostic connector from Chrysler's original design:

16. TurboD16

TurboD16 New Member

IMG_20210505_151613.jpg IMG_20210505_151901.jpg IMG_20210505_151609.jpg
    Looks like this is a service connector for the brake system, even though it has the name dummy connector. The grounds were easy to sport but I am not able to locate or trace back the bleed + and bleed - wires. Gonna keep digging through service manual to see if it pops up.

turtleturtle and Hoon like this.
  17. MrFixit

The fact that this connector is mounted on the Inverter Coolant Tank implies that its function relates to the coolant system rather than the brake system. "Bleed" can also relate to a coolant loop...

Again this is pure speculation on my part... It is just a hunch.

18. TurboD16

TurboD16 New Member

Very possible. I looked into it and they do not reference the connector. They only reference using the Honda Diagnostic Tool to turn it on and off. Their procedure automatically varies the pump speed over a period of 10 minutes. Since you mentioned it, I would agree that it is very likely for that, but for people who don't have access to the tool, however their service manual doesn't accommodate people working on their own car lol

19. TurboD16

TurboD16 New Member

Welp, not the cooling system. It is for the electronic brake servo. See the attached photos. Mystery solved Brake1.jpg Brake2.jpg

turtleturtle likes this.
  20. MrFixit

The photos are a little hard to see.
    Can you elaborate on precisely what you do with this thing for us DIY'ers ?

21. leop

leop Active Member

A while back, I asked in another of this forum's threads about replacing the brake fluid on a Clarity. The replacing would involve bleeding the brakes. Given the complexity of the Clarity's braking system, I suspect that the bleeding is not as simple as on older vehicles with simpler braking systems. It would be helpful both in learning more about the connector and its use as well bleeding and replacing the Clarity brake fluid to learn more about the Clarity brake fluid replacing and bleeding procedures.

Could TurboD16 look up and post the procedures for replacing and bleeding the Clarity brake fluid?

LeoP

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There are descriptions of changing the Clarity's brake fluid in the MM 0 1 7 Brake Fluid Change thread, but it sounds like you've already checked out that thread.

23. leop

leop Active Member

Thanks for the link. I was the person who posted the link on how to bleed the brakes on an Hybrid Accord after the servo pump motor was replaced in the thread mentioned. However, I have still not been able to see the actual procedure for replacing the fluid when the motor is not changed and the fluid in the servo assembly is emptied when the motor is removed. The reason I posted the above request is that often in such servo systems, it is difficult to replace the fluid in the servo system unless the pump is run.

For example, this is the case with my Volvo. I need to run a procedure in the diagnostic hook up to the OBDII connector to properly replace the fluid or bleed the ABS servo and brake system after replacing a caliper or line. I am curious about a possibly similar need for the Clarity.

LeoP

insightman likes this.