Weird sound

Discussion in 'Rav4 Prime' started by Lenz, Apr 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Lenz

Lenz New Member

2021 Rav4 Prime XSE,
    About 10-15 seconds after start up I’ve been getting a weird sound. Not sure where the origin of the sound is coming from. If was guessing, it’s either in the center of the cabin or the back side of the engine compartment. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

GeoF likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It's the heat pump, to stop it you can either switch to HV mode or turn your climate control to low. It seems to happen to just about everyone but don't think there has been any dealer verification. Would have been real nice if it was mentioned in the manual.

GeoF, BobB and Lenz like this.
  4. BobB

BobB New Member

Good to know. I've been hearing this about half the time when I start up. I'll try leaving the climate control system off when I shut down, to see if that helps.

hopes2 likes this.
  5. GeoF

GeoF New Member

I came here specifically searching for this information. Thank you!

6. D Lab

D Lab New Member

I know this is an old post, but I started hearing an occasional clunk in the rear after 10,000 miles. Only happened about 3 or 4 times but I will get it checked out at 15,000 miles and press the service department for an explanation since I know it's not just me. Love the car besides a few minor glitches.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. D Lab

D Lab New Member

I know this is an older post, I haven't been on site in quite a while, but many Thanks for the info. Now I don't need to bug the dealer about cause, just verify at next maintenance. Manual is a little off on fuel capacity also, it is 11.5 or so, not 14.5 stated, probably that's the regular Rav tank and they didn't edit. I also disagree with the manual saying to add fuel at least every 6 months or so. Even if the gas didn't go extremely stale, gasoline engines need to run regularly.

9. D Lab

D Lab New Member

The tank may be 14.5 gallons after all, gauge just starts reading empty or close to it way early. I will experiment with this, usually not a great idea to run tank dry with pump not cooled by fuel, but it would be interesting to know how many extra miles of range the car actually has, I just found this:

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/rav4-prime-fuel-tank-experiment-running-gas-tank-dry-with-obd-fuel-level-data.313937/

10. I have a loud sound also but only in very cold conditions. Service dept says it's a compressor of some kind. They said not to worry about it. If it's a real problem I hope it fails before warranty runs out :)