WA fully adopts CARB rules

Discussion in 'General' started by Cypress, Mar 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    WA State SB 5811 - 2019-20
    Was passed in the state Senate today. Heading to the governor’s desk.

This bill Reduces emissions by making changes to the clean car standards and clean car program.

Basically adopting CARB rules for medium duty vehicles and requiring automakers to sell a certain percentage of zero emissions vehicles in the state.

Pooky and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

What it means is that the availability of low emission cars (especially BEVs) from any manufacturer not called Tesla became much harder in many states such as Arizona and most of the country. Already manufacturers like Honda and Hyundai do not sell PHEVs and BEVs in many states, some of the concentrating only CA. Now that they have to cater to WA in addition to CA, means less supply elsewhere. :(:eek:

4. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    [QUOTE="interestedinEV, post: 95509] Now that they have to cater to WA in addition to CA, means less supply elsewhere. :(:eek:[/QUOTE]

time to get those states to adopt CARB too.

5. interestedinEV

Reality at least for now in Arizona

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

We might pick up a couple more manufactures, like Fiat, but for the most part you can already buy most models of BEV and PHEV vehicles in the Seattle area today. I guess one advantage might be that we see more advertising for BEVs and maybe a discount on the price.

Anyhow, can't you buy a Chevy Bolt, Jaguar I-Pace, or an Audi E-tron nation wide today? Cargurus shows them available in Phoenix.

Now if the dealers don't want them or there is no market locally for the vehicle, that's a different story. Certainly, you can order one and have it shipped from an out-of-state dealer if you are not worried about service.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. interestedinEV

You are right, there are a few BEVs that are available in the Phoenix area which are not Tesla's. The e-tron and I-pace are not in the range I want to spend on, the Leaf and the Bolt are over priced at least in my opinion, for the features they have. MiniSE may be an option but it is still not there and will be limited in quantities.

On the other hand, new PHEVs are not available in the Phoenix area from the dealers. So Honda, Hyundai, Toyota etc. do not sell their PHEVs locally. Yes I could buy it in say California and drive it down but I would not be eligible for any CA rebates, only the Fed ones. Even there is not that easy to get. Or I could have it shipped at additional cost.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  9. marshall

Well I just checked Cargurus and it shows Toyota selling the Prius Prime in Phoenix, and looks like you can get a Kia Optima Plug-in in Tempe. So at least a couple of PHEVs are available in Arizona.

I wouldn't pine too much of the Hyundai/Kia PHEVs as the batteries are not liquid cooled. The lack of an electric heater pretty much makes them unsuitable for the Seattle area too. I regret buying mine.

Anyhow, you may think being a ZEV state is going to make a difference, but I don't think so. Most makes and models are already available for purchase in the Seattle area. The sales tax exemption on the Washington state's portion, the state's seed money for charging infrastructure, and local demand has probably had a greater effect on availability.

As far as being a ZEV state now, if PHEV owners get the improved warranty, then that a big plus.

Hopefully, you get your electric Mini, if that's what you want. I see BMW does sell the i3 in Phoenix, so maybe that's a good sign.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

End of lease BMW i3 REx are a great bargain.

11. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    that’s pretty funny to me, considering the MiniSE only has 110 mile range. And you can get a Bolt with a quicker 0-60, more than double the range, and way more cargo space, for pretty much the same $$.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    I think you will start to see more deliveries of Kona EV and Niro EV, Volvo will also hopefully prioritize here (WA) as well.

But I suspect we will see some price drops to move metal.

14. marshall

I don't think there is any problem buying a Kia Niro EV in the Seattle area. Performance Kia has been discounting them since they brought in a bunch of them and apparently according to one post here, shipping out-of-state if you want one. You can buy a Kona EV in Seattle today, but they want MSRP for them. See Cargurus web site.

Again, I don't think being an ZEV state is going to make much difference as to availability. Seattle pretty much has most of the EV's models available right now.