Volvo XC40 Recharge - typical Volvo Unreliable?

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by John Kim, Jul 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. John Kim

John Kim Member

How’s other Volvo XC40 Recharge? My XC40 Recharge been just terrible, less than 700 miles not even have plate on it.
    At ~80 miles infotainment system got stuck in reloading screen and got reset to factory default and lost driver side navigation view.
    At~120 miles stuck in “Gust profile” and requires full reload of Software- dealer couldn’t even fix this repairs without help from Volvo USA.
    At ~580 miles AC stopped working.
    At~640 miles, looks like June update happen to car and YouTube music and few other apps stop working.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sucks to have this sort of experience, especially considering the price tag. A lot of this sounds like software, and the company now understands how important it is to create its own. Hopefully, they'll get this sorted for you because. Their future depends on giving customers an experience appropriate to the price.

TonyInGA likes this.
  4. John Kim

John Kim Member

At 717 mile, Car rebooted in middle of traffic still moving, trying get the AC fixed on my the way dealer. At least AC started working again. 4E01339F-26C3-4CF0-8803-D494C575DD0B.png

5. John Kim

John Kim Member

OMG, this car is terrible.

At ~80 miles infotainment system got stuck in reloading screen and got reset to factory default and lost driver side navigation view.
    At~120 miles stuck in “Guest profile” and requires full reload of Software.
    At~640 miles, looks like June update happen to car and YouTube music and few other apps stop working.
    At ~740 miles just shut down and restarted in middle of driving.
    At ~1140 miles shut down and restarted in middle of driving again.
    At ~1500 miles shut down again.

At ~1800 miles stuck in "Charging" State.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. John Kim

John Kim Member

8. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

Having trouble with technology? You've interjected your wording into a quote from me. Likewise, you are misunderstanding the operation of your vehicle. I tried to provide direct links to the owners manual to help you interpret the charging status.

9. John Kim

John Kim Member

So cable is disconnected and charging is completed, but car is showing still charging and cable is connected is normal? Look at the color of charging port- it’s green and stay green even though charging port was closed it stay green and dashboard clearly show “charging” not completed.
    Unlike you I actually works in this area build HW and write firmware, how can this be normal.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  10. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

I'm only going by what your video showed. It does not show that it is currently charging. Is there other footage that you have which can prove what you say?

Exactly! You are human and can make mistakes.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. John Kim

John Kim Member

Get your eye glasses and look closely and look at the color of charging port, it’s green and stayed green and look at the dashboard it’s showing “charging”. If you can afford to have XC40 Recharge then look at your charging port when it is not charging-it shows white light or no light.

13. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

I tried posting links to save space, but I think you aren't reading them. Here is a snip of the charging status light meanings:
    upload_2021-8-8_16-6-38.png

14. John Kim

John Kim Member

So you think that charging port staying lit green continuously (5 hours and still counting it’s still green) regardless of charging status or even charging port is closed is normal-trolls!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  15. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

I went out to my car just now to validate... After charging is complete, it shows exactly like the manual says:

Here is what it looks like while charging:
    upload_2021-8-8_16-53-26.png

After charging limit has been met (60% in my case):
    upload_2021-8-8_16-56-11.png
    upload_2021-8-8_16-56-43.png
    Solid green light (just like the manual says)

NOTE: it will turn white after the car uses up a little bit of energy. (I'm not sure what that threshold is)

Attached Files:

Domenick likes this.
  16. John Kim

John Kim Member

My XC40 still stayed lit bright green (6 hours and counting) and still showing charging and connected.

17. JT Rock

JT Rock New Member

Here we go again. I don't know what are you trying to say. Where in your video does it show that it is charging and connected? Everything I saw shows that the charging was complete at 90%. Saying "6 hours and counting" doesn't prove anything. The XC40 has very little 'vampire drain' most of the time unless it needs to charge the LV battery or maintain the temperature of the HV battery. The LED should turn white once it is a little under 90% SOC.

Attached Files:

18. John Kim

John Kim Member

Who are you? For regular users you seems to have way more insight to technical detail that only Volvo or people worked on the system. Why don't guy fix the SW on the car instead of going around monitoring the forum and trying to control what people saying about the problem with the car?

Problem is the car charging port light stay lit green and dashboard showing "Charging".

19. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Always the possibility that someone on the production line was a bit groggy at the wheel that morning, schtuff happens!

20. John Kim

John Kim Member

Finally got IHU replaced by dealer today, but sadly issue didn't get fix.

At~120 miles stuck in “Guest profile” and requires full reload of Software.
    At ~740 miles just shut down and restarted in middle of driving.
    At ~1140 miles shut down and restarted in middle of driving again.
    At ~1500 miles shut down again.
    At ~1800 miles charging port stuck in Green.
    At ~2220 miles IHU replaced, AC issue is not fixed. Volvo think that replacing IHU will fix the Air Condition.
    At ~2250 miles same day that IHU was replaced reboot again.

Yes, Volvo is aware of Air Condition issue with compressor on Volvo XC 40 Recharge- they are not sure how to fix it.

21. Lynn K Read

Lynn K Read New Member

Just curious.. how many times have you called Volvo USA.. and how have they responded?

I just had the software totally reloaded.. I told them I bet it is stuck in Guest profile.. and they were confused.
    My air did not work, but they seem to have resolved it.. said it was software.

I cannot connect my car to Volvo On Call so cannot use the ap for metrics.

Other than that car drives great.. it stinks to not use the things that make Volvo cool.

I wish I had bought a Tesla. this was a big mistake.

22. John Kim

John Kim Member

Volvo indicates issue could be related to IHU, but after my IHU was replaced issue still happening. Also indicating that issue could be AC compressor. I called multiples times, and had multiple ticket opened with them. Issue here Volvo seems to be out of stock on IHU to fix the infotainment system, and AC parts also out of stock for next 6 months as well. And dealer also require additional equipment in order make fix on the AC. I am waiting Volvo to buy my car back, but, I am willing to go full litigation with Volvo USA and local to make a point. I requested State of Washington Attorney General office for review and assistance in resolving this matter, you may also want to do this since there is safety issue involved.