Volta: the same mistake...

Discussion in 'General' started by hobbit, Jan 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I've started spotting a few Volta DCFC sites popping up in Plugshare, and on investigating membership I
    found that they're *another* network that expects everyone to use their app and there are NO alternatives
    for setting up an account or starting charges. Their website doesn't even have a way to display their own
    locations on a map. The rep I talked to had never even heard of Plugshare. At least it sounded like she
    was in the US.

They're making the same mistake as Blink -- worse, actually, because they don't even have RFID cards.
    Apps are NOT A SOLUTION for a truly public network. When are they going to internalize that and not
    trot out such stupid designs??

Fortunately, they have few CCS sites and none of them in locations I consider critical.

_H*

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Volta is worse than Blink?!?! You made Volta up, right?

4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

A local grocery chain has started installing Volta’s at some of their locations. I’ll have to swing over to the closest one and check it out. Sounds like an awful user experience. But if I can gain access to yet another network before I need it, I guess it wouldn’t hurt. Add one more app to my EV folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

There are only four DC Volta chargers in the Washington state. Most of their network uses 240 Volt AC. You don't need an app to use their 240 Volt locations.

Their website and app shows the locations. However, it does not have a way to just filter out the DC locations.

I use the free to use 240 Volt ones when shopping if available.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I was a regular Volta user living in San Francisco until January, 2022. You never needed an app to use their Level 2 plugs, and their app showed you both the locations and which were in use or available. Other than inconsistent maintenance of their stations, it was about as easy an experience as you could imagine.

7. To remove this ad click here.