Vehicle to Home/Load

Discussion in 'General' started by Smitty79, Oct 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I currently own a 2019 M3. I love it. But I'm old enough that climbing down into a low car won't work for me for too many more years.

I will be buying 2 new EVs over the next few years. One will be something large, either a truck or a larger SUV. Right now, I'm waiting to see an F150 Lightning, Cybertruck or VW ID6. I don't care about road tripping or towing with this car. It's there to be a second car and give me something I can move furniture in or bring home some lumber for an around the house project. The other will be a crossover, that can do a road trip nearly as fast as an ICE car. The MY is the only car that currently meets this need. (I've done 5000 miles in 11 days in my M3. So I have a pretty good understanding of road tripping)

In my lifetime, the next 30 or so years, I expect the electric grid to be unreliable as we transition away from fossil fuels. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Home solar doesn't quite pencil out. I'll probably get it anyway, as preparation for the expected disruption. To truly back up my life, I need storage. Buying a bunch of Powerwalls is crazy expensive. Adding V2L or V2H, to the massive batteries I drive around with, isn't expensive. When I go to buy my cars, I am likely to get an F150, and a Hyundai Ionic 5 or Kia EV6, because of their better capability to act as home back up than the Tesla equivalent.

I am a huge Tesla fan. With competitive V2H/L options, I'm looking forward to a CT and a MY. Without it, I'll likely go a different way.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

At age 71, I open the door, turn, and sit down on the seat (like a toilet) and bring feet in last. Getting out, first get feet out and then stand up using door and/or roof as an aid. As for you're other requirements, in one respect they depend upon what is available on the market when you are ready to change.

My first Prius modification was to install a 12V-to-110 VAC inverter, 1.1 kW. Every year, we would run extension cords into the house for 2-4 hours when storms took out the power. But in 2012 tornadoes tore up the TVA transmission lines and we had a 4 day 6 hour outage. We burned 2 gallons of gas per day and had enough power for a few florescent lights, the natural gas furnace fan (or window AC,) TV, and computer. In 2016, we upgraded the house to 200 A service and added an automated, 16 kW, natural gas fueled generator so our EVs could charge.

I am not enthused about powering the house from the EV because the limited battery capacity, 100% SOC ~48-52 kWh after 2.5 years and 54k miles. This is enough for short outages, less than a day, but that assumes it is fully charged. I typically have ours charged to 67% or about 32 kWh. The risk is the battery gets drained too low to travel to an area with a working charger.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  4. papab

papab Member

With an efficient all electric home 10-15 kwh per day is plenty during the non heating months. 20 kwh would be all I need for most winter days. If you cook on the camp stove or grill that could easily go below 10 kwh/day. I'd need 220V though for the water heater and heat pump. Outages are so rare in my area that using a BEV battery for the rare occurrence would be really appealing.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

When you get closer, consider a ‘transfer switch’ for safety. We used extension cords.

Bob Wilson

6. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I'm hoping Tesla uses the CT delay to do the kind of system that Ford is advertising.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

I would like to see:
    1. 1.5 kW, 110 VAC light duty source option in any Tesla vehicle
    2. 7.2 kW, 110/220 VAC heavy duty source option in CT
    Bob Wilson

9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I will hopefully buy a Mach-e in 2023 if my savings line up properly. I wonder if Ford has already built in the hardware on the MME's to handle the vehicle to load using the EVSE that they are advertising for the Lightning. That would be really useful.

10. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

Do current model Y's have a 110V outlet? I don't think I've heard that before. I have a 2019 M3 and it only has USB plugs.

11. bwilson4web

Aspirational, I wish every Tesla had a 1.5 kW, 120 VAC, sine wave outlet option. So far, Tesla only promises for the cyber truck.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Tesla have already talked about the Cybertruck having AC output being a standard feature. That's enough for me in an emergency.

Don't expect v2h to be your savior. The Nissan leaf supports v2h, but the hardware to connect it to your home costs more than a Tesla Powerwall.

I expect similar costs for the F150, extra $5k for v2h option, and then $2k for the home connection hardware and installation.

14. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

$7k gets you access to around a 150kWh. How much does that cost for Powerwalls?

15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I'd rather have 240V split-phase at more like 5 kW, that's more reasonable to apply to a home.

_H*

bwilson4web and Fastnf like this.
  16. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect access to the full pack for v2h. Most likely 50%. So equal to about 6 powerwalls.

Does you location suffer power loss for long enough that you need 150kwh of battery storage?

Is your vehicle always going to be plugged in and fully charged when you lose power?

17. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

We have not had problems with outages yet. Local governments are taking coal generation capacity off line faster than they are bringing on other sources. They are discussing reducing hydro resources to improve salmon runs. Some governments, in the region, are banning installing natural gas heating and appliances in new buildings. All of this adds up to less capacity and more need. A Texas like outage is becoming more likely. If I can prepare for this, with little extra cost, I'll probably do it.

Roof top solar is also on the radar. Once I have 2 EVs and the price of electricity goes up 20%, it pencils out.

gooki likes this.
  18. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I've no regrets about our roof top solar. 8 year payback period and that's with $0 in incentives.

19. Where do you live?

20. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

New Zealand