Vehicle to Grid charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by R P, May 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mattsburgh likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. woodsmithnh

woodsmithnh New Member

Note that this will be a forthcoming capability. It will not be in the initial versions.

4. restyler

restyler Active Member

At least they'd already planned for V2G in the software
    Screen Shot 03-28-21 at 02.49 PM.PNG

5. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

Clarification on this: all IONIQ 5's will have this capability from the beginning, since it is making use of the E-GMP platform's bi-directional charging capability. This is what allows the car to charge another EV using a special adapter plugged into the charging port.

The E-GMP’s charging system supports bi-directional charging. Its newly developed Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU) enables a new vehicle-to-load (V2L) function, which can draw energy from the vehicle battery without additional components. This enables EVs based on the E-GMP to operate other electric machinery (110 V / 220 V) anywhere. The system can even be used to charge another EV. <source>​
    [​IMG]

The V2G functionality is made possible by the special charging stations that the city is installing. It is these chargers that will control the direction of electricity from the car when it is plugged in, allowing for power to flow from the car back to the grid. Only cars with bi-directional charging capability can do this (currently just the Leaf and the IONIQ 5/Kia EV6 AFAIK) but it requires these special chargers to handle the connection back to the grid, and is not something that is built into the vehicle itself (beyond the bi-directional charging capability).

Mattsburgh and restyler like this.
  6. V2G would be nice. V2H actually a lot more useful for home use.

Mark Richards likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

The problem is in the US it is limited to 110V, right ? we don't get 2 phase 220. so the total amount of power it can deliver is limited. and is of far less use for V2G.

9. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

No doubt. I have a hookup on the side of my house, and I plug in a 4000w generator when the power goes out. If we had 220V, 3000 watt V2H, I could just power my home for days.

10. In the US we generally have 120V/240V split phase AC that can provide 120V in a single leg and 240V using two legs. My L2 EVSE is wired to a 2 pole 40 amp breaker which, at 240V, has a capacity of up to 9.6 kW. My 20 kWh Sonnen battery is connected through a 2 pole 80 amp breaker. I think that the inverter in the battery system is rated at 9 or 10 kW.

11. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Hyundai's term is V2L (Vehicle-to-Load). If you'd like to see a simple use of what a load could be tale a look as Charlie powers Hyundai RV (AC, Refrigerator, Light, Extension of the Cabin). It's just a quick demo with not enough information about IONIQ 5's ability to display the load on the screen. There isn't any information on what would happen if too much power was added to the draw on the car or how long it can sustain 3.6kW. I think we would need a kW hour number to calculate the capacity that's estimated here. Interesting use and now I'm wondering if Kyle's Revel could be powered by this little guy over night. ;)

FlbrkMike likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Testing the V2L capability AWD version::)
    "When Tech Radar got their hands on the AWD version of the Hyundai Ioniq 5, they decided to test some of the marquee features. This included its speedy 350 kW DC fast-charging capability and vehicle-to-load (V2L) functionality.
    Tech Radar took the vehicle to a 350kW Electrify America charging station, where they charged the Ioniq 5 from 31 per cent to 80 per cent in just 13 minutes.

The peak charging rate from the station was 226kW.
    However, the best party trick of the Ioniq 5 might be the V2L functionality. The Ioniq 5 features up to 1.9kW of power output (120V 16A) V2L functionality on all trims.

Settings within the car allow you to set just how much of your Ioniq 5’s battery you want to use to charge another EV.
    [​IMG]
    To access this feature, drivers will need to buy a $220 charging port adapter. The Limited trim also has a power outlet under the rear seat.

In their test, another Ioniq 5 was able to charge at about 4mph (6.5km/h) while drawing about 1.7kW (120V ~14A), enough to add 12mi (19km of range) in 3 hours."
    Source:
    https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/hyundai-ioniq-5-fast-charging-and-v2l-capability/

mho likes this.