USB Port always on?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Stickyman, May 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

Has anyone noticed the front USB port is one when the car is shut off? Any issue with it if an iPod of other device is left connected?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Doesn’t it turn off after a few minutes?

4. Yes it seems to be on all the time. I have noticed that when I plug in my phone first thing in the morning it will start charging it even before I start the car.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I agree with the consensus.. The main USB port is always on...

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound like a good design decision. If you had a camera or some other device plugged in, it would draw current and eventually exhaust the battery?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

Maybe the draw is so small that most people wouldn’t notice it? There are people who use a CarPlay adaptor for wireless control who state they have not had any issues with the battery draining (on Facebook). I guess I will have to plug and unplug then! Yes it is a strange design decision. Similar to the window up/down buttons in the no -driver locations not lighting up.

9. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Battery saver would come on and re-charge the 12 volt battery.. Tesla has Sentry mode which sucks tons of power from the 12 Volt and it pulls current from the High Voltage battery to recharge the 12-Volt.. If everything works properly, it should be no issue..

10. The USB port by the charger powers up as soon as you open the door. I'm guessing the charger fires up too.
    The USB port shuts off after some time after car parked and door closed. May be different in other markets but that's how mine works. The bottom USB port is off until car is turned on.

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I guess. The posts from people reporting dead 12V batteries stick in my mind, however. I am hoping that the software fix that our Canadian friends are currently getting resolves this for all of us.

I personally use the wireless charging thing in the car, so I don't ever need to plug it in. Just drop the phone in the tray. In previous cars, the car charger cables seemed to have a limited lifetime. If they get flexed too many times, they just stop working.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. dogboymick

dogboymick New Member

I think it turns off after a while however it looks like it may come back on during a 12v charge cycle?

14. herode10

herode10 Member

That's correct. It turns off after 15 mins and comes back On during 12v charge cycle.