US Reservations for Ioniq5

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by salant76, May 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. salant76

salant76 Member

Anyone else put down $100 deposit for the Ioniq 5 this afternoon?

I didn't see an option for which model or color to select until after I put in my CC info. Anyone else have that issue? It could have been just user error.

Thanks.

Scott

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. restyler

restyler Active Member

Viewing from the UK, I could only access the page via a private browser
    So how much do you reckon for the 3 models?
    Screen Shot 05-24-21 at 09.15 PM.PNG

4. salant76

salant76 Member

Yes we get (3) trim levels with either RWD or AWD. Which they provided pricing. Personally looking at the SE and SEL trims. Hopefully they are similar in price to the VW iD.4.

5. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

Same thing happened to me, didn't see the configuration options before putting down my CC info the first time. Did it a second time then!

electriceddy likes this.
  6. restyler

restyler Active Member

One BIG difference between the European & NA versions:-

Euro Battery Warranty
    Screen Shot 05-24-21 at 09.32 PM.PNG

North American Battery Warranty
    Screen Shot 05-24-21 at 09.33 PM.PNG

You Lucky People :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. salant76

salant76 Member

It defaulted to white, AWD and SE trim which is close enough for me. Once there is specific pricing I will adjust my options or cancel my reservation (if it to much).

9. I was all set to put down a deposit, but first wanted to see the specifications as I thought I heard during the presentation that its towing capacity was 1500# and not 3500#, which would be a show-stopper for me. Could not find a simple published list of specifications. Also, the titles "Limited, SEL, and SE" are meaningless without a list of all the features and $$ associated with each and not just the smattering of the few features that they list. Trying to query their robot was hopeless. I have dozens of questions - for example, I am interested in charging options (i.e., can I set the start/stop charging times and adjust the current or power draw and max SoC from within the car for L1, L2, and CCS?); regen configurability ( is there a zero-regen setting?), regen paddles (like the Kona EV or...?), and is there a setting whereby the car will come to a complete stop with go-pedal release?; is there a SoC at destination prediction for a Nav-programmed destination? What trip energy consumption metrics and graphs are available? ... and so on... Guess I'll just sit back and suffer through video 'reviews' over the next year...

10. restyler

restyler Active Member

Re: Towing capacity - From the Euro Spec pages (with slightly smaller battery so less weight)
    Kerb Weight = 2100Kg
    Gross Vehicle weight = 2540Kg
    Max Tow Weight (Braked) = 1600Kg / (Unbraked) = 750Kg

(Yes, I realise your probably cursing as I've used both Kg & an S in realize)

OzKona likes this.
  11. I put down $100 but had the same issue of not being able to select until I had payed.
    Just waiting to see what happens next.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. salant76

salant76 Member

You should receive a phone call from Hyundai to confirm reservation. At that point you can change it. When to SEL trim level with AWD hopefully that is no more expensive than the ID.4 Pro S AWD.

14. I think so too, however I prefer rwd. Longer range and bigger frunk.

15. salant76

salant76 Member

I am almost 100% sure that the RWD and AWD get the same size Frunk on the US version of the Ioniq 5.

16. Nope, the frunk is smaller on the AWD because of the second motor on the front. Can't remember where I heard about it. Must have been some Korean YouTuber.

restyler likes this.
  17. salant76

salant76 Member

InsideEV article posted today says the same size frunk for the US spec’d Ioniq 5s.

Seems like in Korea and Europe the RWD gets a larger frunk. Maybe it is a way to cut cost. Neither the Limited or SEL have real leather.

18. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

FYI, just got the call from Hyundai to confirm my pre-order. They were not able to provide more info at this point though.

Domenick likes this.
  19. Restyler, thank you for the 1600kg = 3500# tow rating. No worries, as I'm conversant in both and swear at US politicians who abandoned the metric system after Carter got the ball rolling in the 70's.

Tony S and restyler like this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hyundai should make the RWD Ioniq 5's frunk smaller than the 4WD version to further dis-incentivize choosing the lower-priced model. How long before there are aftermarket kits to reclaim the frunk space stolen from the North American RWD model?

21. Wow! American reservations are open? Not a peep yet in Canada. That's a bit of a flip flop from the norm.

22. I'm guessing it's not a proper configurati
    I guess I'm the crazy person who really thinks the obsession with frunks is a little silly. Hyundai chose to maximize cabin space, necessarily pushing equipment into the nose. Tesla chose a different body style for the Model Y, which gives it a longer nose and less cabin space (proportionately. It's a bigger car overall). VW and Nissan both did something similar to Hyundai, except splitting the difference a bit more, going for stubby noses. IMO, this is a good move, because having a variety of different body styles and design decisions provides more (and more interesting) options for drivers :).

PS: I'll probably end up wanting an I5 (frustrating lack of red paint aside), but I'm inclined to wait until one can be test driven (and until I'm sure I'll find an apartment where I can charge one!).

Domenick and Tony S like this.