Upgrade SEL original halogens with better halogens?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by HudsonKona, Jan 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

My hyundai kona electric is great in every detail, except the halogen headlamps. They are just not very bright.
    Upgrading to LED as in the higher trims would be so much better, but it looks like to be soo expensive(per this forum).
    So how bout my just replacing those in my kona with newer, different brand, halogens? Many ads claim much brightness improvement for their halogen brands(sylvania, bosch, ...). And that would be much more affordable.

Has anyone just ‘upgraded’ their original hyundai halogens with new, different halogens? How much better?

Any ideas appreciated....

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

LEDs are fine for the person behind the wheel, but now that I'm necessarily doing some driving after dark (at 4:30!) I'm getting flashed, and I don't blame the oncoming drivers at all.

4. Just curious why you feel upgrading your headlights with a LED kit would be expensive? You currently have halogens in projector housings, they would be perfectly appropriate for LED or HID conversion kits and should have minimal if any glare for oncoming drivers if properly aimed.

5. HudsonKona

HudsonKona Member

Your comment was right on. I thought conversion would entail changing the housing or such. I just came back from hyundai dealer service. He did not know if ever had been done on the kona, but said switching to LED should be any easy ‘plug-n-play’. Not done there. Suggested look for plug-n-play kit on amazon.

Sounds doable now.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

6. I'm interested as well. The Kona version with LEDs was $6k more when I bought my base model and not readily available off the dealer's lot. The LEDs are the only feature I would have liked.

navguy12 and rsk like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Since its -15C outside currently, I elected to have a local pro shop install my HID kit to replace the halogen low beams. The plan was also to also put LED bulbs in the high beams. Turns out the stock headlight housings requires a plastic spacer/ adapter for the H7 HIDs, he had one for the HIDs but none for the LED and he was not sure they are available. On the upside the HIDs and their drivers were otherwise pretty much plug and play no additional relays or anti flicker capacitors were required. So I now have 55 watt 5000k HIDs in low beam and stock H7 halogens in high beam.
    The low beams looks awesome, definite upgrade over the halogens lows. The HID kit installed ended up $150. I will investigate further on the required adapter for the LED high beam position.

[​IMG]

navguy12 likes this.
  9. Finally got a chance to post a picture of the low beam HIDs. I remain very impressed with the improved visibility over the standard halogen's which in all fairness had reasonable output when they are new. Unfortunately I don't have a before and after picture but anecdotally these HIDs light up the night and are a worthy upgrade. I really appreciate the improved side view where I often find deer in the ditch planning to make a death dash. The lights appear well aimed with a good linear cut off. I have had no folks flashing me.
    [​IMG]

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  10. Pretty decent light for a low cost ;)

11. navguy12, rsk, apu and 1 other person like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. K0NA19

K0NA19 New Member

Hello, is your vehicle Kona electric as well? Thinking of switching mine to LED. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

rsk likes this.
  14. Yes I have a 2019 Kona EV SEL. Please let me know if you have other questions.

15. NRH

NRH Active Member

How does the color of that kit match the Daytime Running Light LEDs?

16. I would say there is less then a 10 pecent difference. I think 6k is the closet you can get.
    Tried to snap a picture. I think in real life it's closer then the picture shows. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

17. Not to be a contrarian but my impression is that the DRLs are more in the 5K range but ultimately its not a huge difference.

18. You might be right. I cannot confirm that as I did not get the 5ks. But if you do let me know. At night I don't see much of a difference, I am very happy with the clean white look. I would love to see some 5k lights. Thanks.

19. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

With this above setup - you were changing the headlights - not the lowbeam/foglights correct? Also - did the LEDs work with car's wiring harness without any adapter? Have you done a conversion for the fog lights as well - and if so - what did you use?

20. My HID bulbs are 5K, again they seem pretty much spot on to the LED DRLs
    [​IMG]

21. OK, I have not looked under the hood to see how this is done, but how is this done? How easy is it to get to the assembly?

22. Looks pretty easy 'cause I took a look. How does the wheel well access panel come off? Don't wanna break it.

23. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

Bought the two items listed from Amazon. Would love to hear some tips on getting these lights installed. I've spent the better part of the evening with no luck. How did you secure the adapter? I've tried several different ways and it just keeps sliding around and won't attach to the socket. The pieces all look right - they just won't for for me. By the way, I'm replacing the low beam/fog lights in my SEL. Help!

navguy12 and rsk like this.